Sunday, November 5, 2017

Close To Home

Sunday during church services a mad man shot up another church.  This one is very close to home.  I have been through the little town of Sutherland Springs many many times.  It is on the way to the town where my Mom was born.  I know that many of my ancestors had lived near or in this town.  It isn't much of a town and if you drove through it for the first time you probably would never remember that you did.  It doesn't even have a stop light.  These are not wealthy people by any means and most would probably consider it lower middle class.  It is just a small farming community with just your everyday working folks.  It is around 30 miles from me. The shooter lived closer to my church than the one he shot up.  No idea why he chose that one as opposed to any number of churches closer.  He even shot at people that were outside near the church at their home.  It seems pretty random.

There is a lot of information being spewed by all the local news channels.  They all have multiple reporters out there all stepping over each other trying to come up with something to talk about.  They are often repeating themselves.  So the story keeps changing or growing every hour.  So I hesitate to tell you what I know.  But I do know a bystander exchanged gunfire with him causing him to flee in his vehicle..  As he fled, the bystander hailed a man in a truck that saw the exchange of gunfire and they began to chase the shooter reaching speeds of 95 mph.  They caught up to the shooter when he crashed and waited with the rifle trained on him until police arrived.  The shooter was dead by a gunshot that may have caused him to crash.  They aren't saying yet if they think the gunshot was self inflicted or by the bystander that responded.  I am pretty certain from what I heard that he was shot by the bystander and expired while running away causing him to crash.  Why kill yourself if you are making your escape?  They did not exchange fire while driving from what I gather.

At this point, there is no why, no motive.  They have already posted photos of the shooter from his facebook page.  He has that 'look.'  That look we see so often in the eyes of those that have committed these unexplainable acts.  They are the eyes of evil, death, cold blooded lifeless eyes of a madman.  I'm sure by the time you read this the story will grow even more.  But it too will die away like the church shooting in Nashville.  No one wants to dwell on these unexplainable acts of evil.  But this one may linger a while longer since the shooter is a white male that owned guns.  When I wake up in the morning, I have no doubt the congress critters will have already politicized this.  Trump will be at fault and blah blah blah.

Sorry, I am just not in the mood.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

They are, and I'm observing the 72 hour rule, not commenting or anything else until there is time to actually get details.