Monday, October 30, 2017

Saturday

I have heard from both the Sons lately, which is rather rare.  First was the news about #1's dogs and then #2 is having some major issues with his new bride's car.  I asked the wife why I only hear from them when they only seem to have bad news.  She says it is because they still want my support or whatever you want to call it, even after all these many years.  I guess I'm not as irrelevant as I thought.  Yes, irrelevant.  It seems that is pretty much what parents become once your progeny get to a point that there lives become so busy that we really do become irrelevant.  It's sad, but true.  I know that I am guilty of that now with my own parents.  It didn't happen that way for my parents until we became Grandparents.  Then our lives centered more on the Grandkids than much of anything else.  So my parents were not in the picture for us as much.  But the wife and I have gotten to that point quicker than our parents did.  I think a lot of that is due to the way society has developed over the last 20 years or so.  There is so much out there competing for our attention that families suffer.  Technology, internet, instant gratification are all things we never really had to deal with in our younger days.  There is just too much going on for things to ever be like they were for families.  I mean that generally.

Saturday we were invited up to a friends place on Lake LBJ.  Nothing to do but sit around and visit and eat and watch football.  They wanted me to go fishing but I hadn't renewed my license yet.  Beside it was to freaking cold and windy.  I did NOT want to go out on a boat in weather like that.  It was a beautiful day as you can see below but it doesn't tell you how windy it was.\


Be sure and click on it since it's a panoramic.

Yes, it's a little too crowded with lake houses and you have to be very well off to afford anything there.  There isn't even public access in this area at all.  But we enjoyed it for the few hours we were there.

Happy Trails

4 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

I miss my son and daughter. We stay as close as we can, via the internet and the phone. My wife goes up and spends a month or so with them at least once a year, and they come here for a week's visit perhaps three times a year.

I understand completely what you are saying about this.

Old NFO said...

Kids... LOL, they never go away, and yes, always want advice!

Sue in Oregon said...

If what parents think is irrelevant then I don't think our grown children would share those cares and concerns with us. They may be adult children, but they are still OUR children and what we think and can share with them still matters. They want our opinions, our support and most of all to know that we can agree or understand their decisions. We have given them the best advice we had and mostly it has proven to be their "go to" position on many instances. They still need and rely on us and our opinions. Offer the best you have to share and then watch them make their decisions that will work in their lives.

Randy said...

Sue in Oregon - Hi Sue! Glad you came by. I understand what you are saying, but that is not exactly what I meant and I apologize for my failings at that. In short, I meant we don't see or hear from them as much as we would like, very little in fact, due to them being much more busy with their lives etc. and we take a back seat in most things.