Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Kicking Back

The big party, reception, shower, pachanga for Son #2 and his new wife has come and gone.  I was pretty much worthless all day Sunday.  And today (Tuesday) I am not doing much either.  We had another clogged line Monday that I had to work on and put tools away after.  May do a little reading and work on a small leather key fob for a friend as a gift.   Other than that, nada.  

We wanted to do something fun this week since we have been so occupied with quite a few things the last couple weeks.  However that may not work out after all.  Things tend to crop up that will take priority.  The new Daughter has asked the wife to come over and help with a few things.  I would rather she go and build a strong relationship with her than take time for something else.  Since we haven't really spent much time with her and get to know her, to me that is an ideal time to do just that.  I will leave them to it and get my chances at other times.  It is very important to me that they have a strong bond.  I would love to see it grow to what the bond is between my Mom and my wife.  There is non of the mother-in-law rivalry there and has never been that way.  For that I am most thankful.  My wife deserves the same in return.

I am currently reading a book that was first published in 1936 and I think it is the 1949 version.  It is about Charles Goodnight.  A legendary figure in establishing and taming the early Texas frontier.  If you are familiar with the mini series Lonesome Dove, it is based loosely on the friendship of Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving.  Goodnight would have been Captain Woodrow Call.  The significant scene of Gus getting hit by an Indian arrow and losing his leg actually happened to Oliver Loving.  So far it is pretty good.  It will take me awhile to get through it.  I don't sit down and read as often as I would like and I read extremely slow.  This is a thick book with small print.  It may be months lol.  And if Old NFO ever gets his next Gray Man book out that will delay me even longer.  

Happy Trails




2 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

I liked Lonesome Dove but did not realize it was based on actual historical characters. That gives it even more luster.

Probably a good idea to do some bonding like that. Maybe you can catch your breath while the wife is over there helping, you've had a busy few weeks.

Old NFO said...

Working on it, sir! I took a couple of days in the woods to chase deer, and now I'm back on the grindstone!