Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Irritants

The wife uses Quickbooks to keep track of her business finances.  Since things have been pretty slow lately she hadn't used it since Oct. 2 when she filed her State sales taxes.  She attempted to do the same today and wouldn't you know it, she could make it work.  She admits she is technically challenged and will have me try to fix things.  This time I failed.  At least it seemed so.  After several attempts to make it work I got on the phone and called them.  Apparently one of the Win 10 updates made her version obsolete.  Also the company that owns Quickbooks no longer supports her version. 
We got it in 2010.  Consequently we had to update by buying new software.  That stuff ain't cheap.
So after about an hour and a half she was back up and running.  What a scam.

The washer drain also had issues again.  Several tries over the last couple days with Liquid Plumber got the drain going again.  I know I will have to eventually call a plumber.  I suspect there are roots in the lines despite my using copper sulfate at least once a year.  I also had an electrical issue that I couldn't figure out.  I had drained our hot water heater as I do several times a year due to our extremely hard water.  When I do this, I turn the breaker off to the hot water heater.  A couple hours later Kim tells me there is no hot water.  OK, I figure I must have forgotten to flip the breaker.  Nope it was on yet I was getting no indication of power on my volt meter at the hot water heater.  Not good.  So I run out to the breaker box again to satisfy myself that the breaker was in the right position and I just missed it.  I flipped it back and forth just to make sure I wasn't seeing things.  Went back and the water heater is doing it's thing again.  Maybe the breaker is going out or something had gotten lodged in the contacts and came loose when I flipped it.  I don't know.  I do know we have hot water.  Yeah, a new breaker is a good idea.  I will wait anyway.

The joys of being a home owner.  Ah well it certainly could be worse.

Happy Trails.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sigh... Yep, replacing one hot water heater today, and a new dishwasher as soon as they get one in. Roger all on the 'joys' of home ownership...

Unknown said...

You have to be careful with drain cleaner. Depending on what type of plumbing you have, the chemicals in those things can actually start eating away at the finish, which can cause them to spring leaks. A drain snake is the way to go, but it’s also way more expensive and harder to use.