Monday, December 2, 2019

5 Years

Tomorrow marks 5 years when I had surgery to remove my prostate due to cancer.  I don't really know for sure but I think at 5 years I am considered cancer free.  I will have a follow up check in January and I will certainly ask that question.  My memory tells me that some of the material they gave me to read about the before and after surgery that they would continue to check for cancer (PSA test) for 10 years.  But they have deviated from some of that material so I don't know how hard those numbers are.  It would be good to be able to drop a couple doctor visits and labs per year from my schedule.  Although he does treat me for low T also, so that would most likely continue anyway.

Reflecting back on my decision to proceed with surgery as opposed to radiation (those were my only two options at that time) I have no regrets.  the surgery revealed that my cancer was more aggressive than the biopsy said it was.  The surgeon told me I made the right decision due to the aggressive nature.  I know there are a lot of new approaches to treating or not treating prostate cancer lately and I haven't really kept up with it, but it seems there are opposing views.  It's still something that is being debated and refined.  Consequently I am less inclined to offer advice.  Well I don't think I ever offered advice, just what my experience was.  I don't ever want to tell someone that I think they should do one treatment over another.  Everyone has to make their own choice.  Just get informed as much as you can.  I have offered to talk to friends that I have lost touch with that I became aware of their having this cancer.  I have yet to have anyone follow up with that.  The one in particular that I offered really didn't want anyone to know he had it.  I am not real sure of that mind set, but it's his choice.  I mention this today instead of tomorrow as I may forget by then.  I have had others ask me to relate my experiences and I have done so.  One expected to get prostate cancer since his father had gone through it so he wanted to know as much about it as he could.  It was no holds barred and let him know the bad things especially.

Today starts a slack week as far as any planned activities.  I am not real sure how we will handle that since we have been pretty busy for months now.  I'm sure that 'K' will continue her Christmas decorations.  Also I hope we get to keep the Nugget again as I am spoiled about getting her to ourselves for an overnight stay.   I am going to really try hard to get a good start on a leather project for the oldest Granddaughter.  I have tried a couple times over the last few months and have messed those starts up so today I start it again with a new determination.  I'm hoping I don't screw this one up too LOL, since it is a Christmas gift she requested.  

Happy Trails


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Great news! :-)

CenTexTim said...

Congratulations!!! I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary of the end of my treatments and surgery for throat cancer. Makes me feel good when I hear a story like yours.

Stay well!