Saturday, December 14, 2019

SMH

My Mother lives alone in the house she shared with my Father that passed away last August.  She has adjusted very well and that has relieved a lot of worry for us.  Until this week.  She has a mild form of insomnia so the doctor gave her some pills to help her sleep.  She takes them occasionally, not a lot but will use them when she has had a rough day which usually leads to a sleepless night.  One of those nights happened early this week.  She usually had taken just one pill of the three she is allowed to take.  One had no effect so she took two.  That certainly had an effect.  It made her dizzy.  I'll skip all the other details but she was dizzy enough she fell.  She didn't break anything but she did sprain both ankles.  She is virtually immobile.  We have been running back and forth over there and 'K' has spent a couple nights and my sister-in-law will spend a couple.  She is supposed to see her doctor Monday.  The ER didn't really do anything for her other than tell her they didn't think anything was broken, but see your doctor Monday and let him deal with it.  Hopefully the swelling will be down enough that x-rays will see if there is anything broken.  Of course she just knows something is broken.  One ankle is worse than the other and looks pretty bad, all swollen and discolored.  It may be broken, I don't know.  

She had been refusing to take the Tramadol she was prescribed for pain and didn't want any supporting wrap to stabilize her ankle since the ER doc didn't want to do it.  I assume due to swelling.  I keep urging the wrap even if lightly to help with the pain by stabilizing it and keep it from moving more than it should.  But what do I know?  She also didn't want to use ice but we prevailed.  I had 'K' take her boot she got for her surgery over to see if that would help, if she would at least agree to try it.  Lo and behold it worked great.  But what do I know?  LOL.

Hopefully she will get a little more mobile after the doctor works his magic and things can get back to normal.  Normal?  Who am I kidding?  

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Prayers... The hard part is that she 'still' thinks you're 12 and don't know anything... sigh

Randy said...

Old NFO-lol pretty much, me more so than others it seems