Friday, October 25, 2019

Tree Work

I don't remember mentioning this before.  I hired a company to come do some major work on all the many oak trees we have at our place.  There are about 40 with varying sizes.  Some pretty big and others not much of anything.  We have tons of ball moss and a lot of dead limbs and crowded growth.  The wife and I spend several days each year trying to keep up.  But it is getting too much for my old bones for what needs to be done.  Quite a bit of these trees hang over the roof and has caused problems in the past.  I don't want this new roof getting damage like before.  I also have no way now to haul off any limbs like I could with my Ranger, although it took many trips to get it done.  This company will do some major work clearing out the ball moss and dead limbs and raising the canopy and shaping them up.  At least 3 of those smaller trees will get cut down since they are getting crowded and they affect the others by taking sunlight and making them lean funny.  I will also get some firewood out of this.  Won't take all of it since there would be more than I could handle or have a place for it.

They started on Thursday and only worked on one tree, but it is the biggest of all.  They worked all day on mostly that one tree.  It is looking very good now.  It gives me even more confidence I hired the right guy.  It is very pricey but he will be here just over a week to get it all done.  We get a lot of these drive by tree trimmers that don't speak much English and I have used them once before and it was pretty good.   But I felt this job was going to be too big for something like that and I wanted to be sure they were insured, both for protection of any damage from a dropped limb on the house or injury to anyone.  Plus I wanted it to last a few years before I needed more done.  So they are doing quite a lot and I am paying a premium price.  I got three bids, one from a street guy, and I called two others.  The guy I hired wasn't the lowest bid or the highest.  I could tell he knew his stuff and he also cared about his work. Plus he had very high reviews.  He said he won't let any of his help do the cutting as he doesn't trust anyone but himself to do it.  He also wouldn't work on Halloween since his help would probably be hung over.  There was also just me liking the guy.  NO BS but very personable.  

The weather that rolled through last night with 40 mph winds today has not deterred him.  I would have expected him to knock off instead of climbing trees in this wind.  But he explained what he planned to do and I don't want to tell him his business.  He's the pro, not me.  I'm sure he has faced similar before as busy as he is.  Pics of before and after when he is done next week.  

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Paying the man IS a good idea at our age... sigh...

Randy said...

Old NFO-yes it is. Unfortunately I have at least one maybe two other projects that will be very expensive. Trying to hold off on those until we can build up the coffers again.