Thursday, September 5, 2019

Hand Salute

Since I'm not a veteran, I cannot 'hand salute.'  So I offer my virtual 'hand salute.'

A few photos from my Father's Home-going yesterday.  Daddy was a Navy Veteran.  He joined in November 1945, his senior year in high school had just begun and was only 17 years old.  They credited his military service to his transcript and received his high school diploma.  The first in his family to graduate high school.  He was always proud of his service and enjoyed it.  But he never ever boasted about it.  Technically, even though, his service was not during WW2, we found out he was considered a WW2 vet.  We never knew this until this week.  I don't know if he knew that or not, but knowing him, he would never claim it since the actual shooting was over a couple months earlier than his enlistment.  He would never claim something that wasn't his.  

He was buried with military honors.  We knew he was getting a flag for the casket.  


I suspected he may have some sailors deliver thee flag during the service.  But that didn't happen.  The flag was there when we got there.  We were a little worried he wouldn't be recognized at all as he deserved as he had no DD214.  We had discharge papers and certificates but no DD214.  A little research revealed he was discharged before the DD214 came about.  When we got to the grave sight, we saw this.



I can hardly describe how this made me feel.  I had done well keeping my emotions in check, but this, I almost lost it.

A few more.  That's me on the far end in the hat.


My Mother and Uncle


We put together a video with over a hundred photos along with background music of he and my mother singing together from many years ago.  This was a surprise for her.  It really touched her and she has watched it several times already since.  The thing that mattered most, my Mother thought everything was perfect.  That's all that mattered in the end.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Hand Salute! Rest in peace Shipmate. Yes, the Navy does step up. We remember our veterans.

Randy said...

Thank you sir!