Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Mediterranean Food for Father's Day (Monday)

I am running a little behind on posting here.  Just not feeling the mojo.  Father's Day was very quiet here at the homestead.  We didn't go anywhere nor did anyone come over.  Both the Sons and I had various duties at our respective congregations that would make late to any gathering so we opted to not make others wait for us with no idea how long it would be.  I did call my Dad.  I tried several times and my phone just wouldn't connect but he could tell it was me calling so he called me.  We just didn't have enough available time to drive over to see him and still be on time for my other commitment at church.  We will try to see him sometime this week.  

We, my Sons and their families, agreed to meet Monday evening for a meal at a restaurant near us for Father's Day.  They have been trying to get me to try Mediterranean food at this particular chain for a while.  I was game, I was curious what it was like.  I have to admit I am pretty much a meat and potatoes guy, but I do love me some Tex Mex and occasional Chinese.  That's about as far off the reservation I venture with food.  I opted for a beef shawarma plate as it was recommended to me by one of my boys.  I have to say the various spices and sauces are very different than anything I have tried.  Nothing was bad although I am not so sure I like something they call tahini sauce.  Just very strange in my mouth.  I don't usually eat any sauce on my meats wanting to get the full flavor of the seasonings and the meat itself.  Apparently that is not the way to eat this style meat.  It is on the tough side and doesn't seem to have much seasoning so the sauces are there to add to it.  But for me that tahini stuff doesn't really help it any.  It comes with a Greek Salad and whatever dressing they use and it was OK and hummus.  Now I like hummus, but this was the most bland stuff and I am not real sure why or how it should be eaten.  I have always used it as some sort of dip so I dipped my shawarma in it. Meh, is all I can say about that hummus.  About the naan, wow.  Now that is something I could get used too.  It's like a giant fluffy flour tortilla but a bit heavier.  They give you some Olive Oil with some sort of spices that look like dirt.  Don't let that stop you from trying it though.  It is pretty good.  So I guess the jury is still out for my venture into Mediterranean food.  It wasn't bad by any means, just way different than what I am used to.  I will have to go again and try something different.  I did notice a significant aftertaste for a while after we left, nothing unpleasant.  I am sure it was the completely different spices they use that I have never come across before.  It was interesting.

The major rain that was predicted for us has been disappointing.  Just a few scattered showers that don't do much good at all other than to make it even more humid.  It has kept the temps from getting as high as they have been but the humidity makes up for that.  We had hoped for some really significant rains.  It is supposed to continue like this the rest of the week.  Hopefully it will get better but the chance diminish each day.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Considering that a lot of Mediterranean food was based around horsemeat, the sauces are a GOOD idea... And yes, Naan is excellent, it IS the Mediterranean version of a tortilla.