Friday, June 1, 2018

Friday

You would think after a full week of no new posts I might, just might have something worthy or interesting to write about.  Well you would be wrong.  😕 

The plumber came Thursday and got the pressure regulator installed.  Without asking he installed a cut off valve at the same time.  No extra charge.  Sweet!  We hadn't even talked about it.  

Picked the first tomatoes of the year.  Just a couple and they aren't very big at all, smallish actually.  It is new hybrid I am trying out that ripens faster and is heat resistant.  As hot as it is getting here, much hotter for this time of year than usual, it will affect my tomato production.  When it gets really hot, the plants stop setting fruit.  There are quite a few green ones already thankfully, but it the heat keeps up like this, about 5-8* hotter than normal, that may be all we get.  However, after all I have done to prepare and prevent tomato blossom rot, I still chucked three over the fence that had it.  if you aren't familiar with tomato blossom rot, the bottom of the tomato where the blossom will sometime still be attached will rot, turn blackish brown.  You may not see it until you pick it and turn it over, the tomato looks just fine otherwise.  This has been an ongoing issue for me.  From what I read it is due to a lack of calcium in the soil.  I read where adding bone meal should help with this.  I did exactly as prescribed on the directions.  I also added epsom salt as I have before.  This is something that has worked for me in the past but apparently it doesn't last.  So now I am not sure what to do next.  I will add much more bone meal than prescribed along with more epsom salts and hope that solves the issue for the remaining tomatoes.  I don't know.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Glad the plumbing is done!!!