Monday, May 15, 2017

Tedious

The last couple days of the week I started power washing the porch, sidewalk, front of the house and driveway.  The driveway is the biggest time consumer.  It's about 100' long and 12' wide, all concrete.
For some reason, these surfaces get not only dirty, but have a lot of what I suspect is some sort of mildew and what looks like algae.  This is in a very dry environment.  Every couple years it gets to the point it is pretty dark (the concrete).  So I break out the power washer hoping it will start.  No problems with starting yet even after sitting for years.  Wish my weedeater was like that.  This will take me several more days to complete since I don't spend the whole day working on it.

I spend a few hours each time trying to get most of that gunk off and back to a cleaner looking state. 
It is mind numbing and tedious.  My back eventually gets to the point of stiffness I stop.  I am taking a break over the weekend since the Grandkids will be here and it's Mother's Day.  Yes, there is plenty of time before the kids get here but that's my excuse anyway.

You can see how bad it was before and a little of the after here.


Here is a close up of the 'algae' or whatever it is, that stuff really takes a lot to get it to come up and then it leaves a light green stain.


We will be heading over to #1 Son's for lunch Sunday and to drop off the Grandkids.  Hope all Y'all have a great Mother's Day-especially you Mothers.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I'd add some bleach to the cleaner compound, if that's possible. We did that in Florida to knock down the algae growth.

Randy said...

Old NFO-can't do that on this washer, it connects directly to the hose and there is no place to add any cleaner, just power water. I bought a cheap one. I have an idea of a mixture to use but I will have to use my garden sprayer after all the gunk is gone.