Friday, May 12, 2017

Emotional Week

It's been a really crazy week for us.  I can't really go into details since it involves others.  But just know that it has taken up more of my mental abilities than I can really spare lol.  It was topped off Thursday evening by a quick trip to my parents house.  My Dad was sick with some sort of stomach bug and hadn't eaten or drank anything all day.  Being diabetic there is a real concern with getting too low of blood sugar and dehydration.  The stress of it all puts him in a mood that stresses my Mom.  
Since #2 Son lives much closer we called him to get some Gatorade over to him ASAP.  We were on our way to help out anyway we could and give calming comfort to my Mom.  He hadn't been checking his blood sugar like he should and had forgotten how to do it and my Mom never knew how.  All of this made my Dad snap at my Mom.  It wasn't much fun to hear the stress in Mom's voice as I am trying to tell her how to check his blood.  I had explained it to Dad and he seemed to get it, but he didn't do it.  I don't know.  I think by that point Mom could hear the frustration in my voice which wasn't good for her.  So we got over there in record time during late rush hour.  On the way I worked on my frame of mind to be cheerful and non judgemental and be there to just help.  I wouldn't lecture and let Kim do her thing at explaining to Dad the things he should be doing.  He takes it from her better than me.  It went pretty well and things seemed to be back on an even keel so we headed home.  

I then spent the better part of an hour talking with a friend that needed my advice.  That was very emotional too to hear all he has been dealing with.  But that's what you do for friends and I would die for this one.  It was hard to get to sleep last night after all the excitement.

Sorry for the downer post but I put this here mostly for my own failing memory.  So on to brighter things.  The garden seems to be doing great.  There will way more tomatoes than we had last year and we had a lot.  We really need to get motivated on canning instead of just giving most away.  But I do enjoy giving to others.  I think there is a happy median in there somewhere.  We just have to find it.

I went and bought a couple pairs of shoes.  Not a big deal but I haven't bought shoes, other than a pair of boots (western) I wear when we go out and a couple pairs of sandals in almost 15 years.  One pair is for when I do my walking exercise and the other is for just around the house and yard work, my sandals have just fallen apart.  I don't wear any shoes most of the time when I am inside opting to go barefoot.  I had been experiencing some foot pain due to all the exercise and realized my sandals were just worn out.  So far these have been some really great and comfortable shoes and not too expensive.  If you are in need of this type shoe I would suggest you check out Skechers.  They are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn right out of the box.  No, I am not getting paid by Skechers I just like to pass along things I find out that I think are outstanding to others so they can benefit.

Happy Trails

3 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

This kind of thing will never stop until a fellow is dead, and we all have to deal with it. About all you can do is your best, and then try not to feel guilty that it wasn't enough, or you handled it wrong, or all the other one hundred and one little doubts that plague a guy involved in stressful situations. Just have to work through it as best you can. Hang in there.

Randy said...

Harry that is so right, thanks

Old NFO said...

Concur with Harry, you just have to deal with it and hang in there. Never fun, but critical to your dad's survival! You reminded me, I need to get my boots resoled and reheeled... sigh...