Friday, May 5, 2017

Housebound

For most of the past 2 weeks I have been pretty much housebound.  Not leaving other than to go to the church house last Sunday and a much needed trip to Costco and the grocer.  The Man flu will do that to you.  Not much has been going on other than the usual mundane life.  I finished the leather scabbard I was making for that multitool I plan to gift to my little buddy.


While going through my leather tools etc. I found to phone pouch kits I bought a while back that I forgot I had.  I will most likely start on those shortly.  I had been keeping them on hand in case someone asked me to make one for them.  It has been several months so it is time to add them to Kim's inventory.  She will be heading to the resort on Mother's Day weekend so it may be good to have one or to ready to go.  It appears she will get to work more this summer than she has been over the last few months.  That's a good thing, we sure could use the extra she brings in.  
 
The weather here has been pretty spectacular.  Cool and dry but it does have a few breezes that are stronger then I would like.  Trying to enjoy that as much as I can.  It will end in a couple weeks when the high heat and humidity hits this part of Texas. We get just enough rain to keep things green so far.  A couple loud and bright storms but very little rain compared to what they sounded like at night.

I have been following the progress of the CSS H.L. Hunley since they found it off Charleston Harbor years ago. If you aren't familiar with the first successful submarine attack you can learn more by going here:  Friends of the Hunley.  You can learn quite a bit there.  They now have several 'scenario's' that they have been working on as to what actually happened to the Hunley and the crew after their successful mission.  They have been working on what may have sunk the Hunley for several years now and these scenarios were just released.  I watched the raising when that was accomplished via video.  I had a friend that actually took a boat out to the location and watched the entire process.  The remains of those that were on the ill fated mission that took their lives were found entombed inside.  There was a huge memorial funeral that was conducted as they were laid to rest.  I considered going to that and even marching as part of the color/honor guard.  I had friends that went to that and marched.  I have visiting it on my bucket list.  I find the story of Lt. Dixon (the vessel's commander) very interesting and moving.  When he left to go off to war he was given a gold coin by his fiance.  The 'legend' was that he was shot at the battle of Pittsburg Landing (Shiloh for you yankees) and the gold coin was hit and saved his life.  When they discovered his remains, the legend became fact.  They found the gold coin.  It was bent from taking a ball dead center.  It was also inscribed with proof.  I find this whole story fascinating and moving.  I will be ordering a replica coin they have for sale one of these days.

I really need a day trip before I go nuts.

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Harry Flashman said...

I have been watching the recovery of the Hunley over the years. Last I heard, they were soaking the hull in some kind of water/preservative mix. Charleston is not that far from us, someday we will go down and see it.

Old NFO said...

It's worth the trip! Made it a couple of years ago. And Dixon's story IS moving!