Thursday, April 28, 2022

Helpful Tip-Headlight Restoration

I mentioned in my last post that I wanted to share something with you that I found that works great for me.  It's part of what kept me busy last week.  

Now that car manufacturers have been making headlights with plastic lenses/covers, if you keep your car long enough they will eventually become cloudy or yellowed.  The results are a significantly dimmed headlight.  It is very noticeable out here where we have next to zero streetlights.  We really need good lights with all the deer and the folks that walk at night with dark clothes.  I am being kind by calling them 'folks.'  

About 3 years ago we noticed 'K's CRV lights were really dimmed.  Headed over to Utube and tried a couple of those remedies with NO luck.  Then I headed to Amazon to see what they had in kits for this issue.  I tried this one: Meguiars-Two-Step Headlight Restoration .  No, I'm not being paid to post this.  I just know this works and wanted to share.  Yes, it takes a little elbow grease and I did it about 3-4 times each headlight.  3-4 times for one step of it, the polishing part.  Tip-it will still look cloudy after you do all your rubbing.  But when you apply the spray, it's like magic.  It gets very clear.  Be sure you follow the directions closely.  It won't be prefect but it is so much better than it was, there are spots I wasn't able to affect but they are insignificant..  Not sure how that works but the spray is the key.  It's like another coat filling in all the bad spots or something like that.  So don't get discouraged after polishing a bunch and it's still cloudy.  I was getting that way and then the spray fixed that.  Drawback?  Yes, you will have to do it again in about a year.  I just did 'K's again for the third time.  But that's a lot better than buying a new one.  Those things are crazy expensive.  There are other kits on Amazon that probably work just as well or better, I know this one worked for me.  

BTW, it occurs to me that none of my other FORD vehicles ever had this issue and I kept those longer than this one of 'K's.  Luck?  Maybe, but I don't think so.  I have had almost nothing but FORD's.  My Ranger I had 14 years.  Hopefully you won't have to do it at all or have someone do it.  But I'm mostly a DIY guy.  

Happy Trails



No comments: