Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Self Imposed Isolation-Day 3

Yes, Isolation is the term I prefer.  I think quarantine is a much stricter meaning and we are not quite there yet.  While we have been decreasing our exposure over the last week, Monday really was a the start of us trying even more to stay home.  Although yesterday we braved the grocery store and Costco.  I was prepared to just turn around and leave if there were lines out the door or near full parking lot.  This was pretty much our regular shopping trip, no hoarding.  Since we were getting very low on meats that was our first priority and hearing aid batteries.  

We hit Costco first.  The parking lot was pretty full but no lines at the door like I have seen pictures of on FB at this very Costco.  It was very busy.  There was a very long line to check out, we were told that it would take an hour just to check out.  We went by the meat counter specifically looking for those giant packs of ground meat.  We always buy those as that is the most versatile meat for the price.  No joy, they even had a sign that said there would be none.  Grabbed a pack of chuck roasts as those last us for several meals.  Got most everything else we were looking for.  I did see some that I thought were probably hoarders.  One lady had a basket nearly overflowing with produce.  At Costco, produce also comes in large portions.  I was amazed by how much she had.  I just had to shake my head.  No way a family could go through all that produce before it rotted unless they were a VERY large family.  The line moved very quickly and I have to give a shout out to Costco about their efficiency.  There were no empty shelves but the meat counter was looking very low but you could see the guys in the back working hard to keep meat coming.  Kudos Costco.

HEB was next and everything I heard was that it was a disaster with lines and barren shelves.  Evidently if that is true they had managed to restock a lot of the items.  Even though they were busy it was no more crowded than our regular visit.  Yes, there were more shortages here, with some barren sections of shelves.  The meat counters were pretty vacant but I lucked out and got a couple packs of ground chuck, woohoo, a pack of pork chops and I picked up a brisket.  All of these we can get multiple meals out of.  The frozen food section was hit really hard.  Very little of anything except some frozen fruit or ice cream.

All in all everyone was well behaved.  I was prepared for rude aggressive folks.  I would return their behavior with kindness and understanding...to a point.  I only encountered one person I thought was less patient than he should have been while I was helping another lady that asked me a question.  I have heard, through the grapevine that at another HEB farther from us had some issues and had to call the police.  Some folks had taken it upon themselves to grab items out of others baskets and fights ensued.  They were limiting only 20 people inside the store after that.  The local news did not report it to their credit if it was true.  I don't know if it happened or not, but I can and do expect it to happen.  I can assure you we took extra precautions.  'K' did not want me going out due to my risk level but there was no way I would let her go alone and rolled for her groceries by some idiot.  My concern was her getting hurt in a situation like that, not groceries.

Our church elders have cancelled all but our Sunday morning assembly.  It will be streamed live for our congregation that will allow us to see the entire service at home.  We are choosing to stay home until the threat lessens considerably much to my displeasure. 

We have planned a family get together for Son#2's Bday this Saturday.  That's still on since they all work from home they have had little to no contact outside so the risk is next to nothing.  Plus, keeping those bonds strong during this time is important.   

I hope all is well with those that stop by here and that your are being prudent your everyday actions.

Happy Trails 

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sounds good, and we're doing the same thing.