Monday, March 9, 2020

Corona and Security.

I admit I really don't know what to think about this corona virus news going around.  I pretty much suspect that a lot of it is media driven hype.  But like I said, I really don't know.  Whatever it is, it is now affecting things you can get at the grocery.  Not to mention what it has done to our IRA's.  I went last week with the idea of getting some things we run out of on occasion.  One of those is the Clorox wipes.  We use those all the time.  I was expecting them to probably be out from things I heard.  They weren't out...yet.  There was definitely a low number available when I went.  I did take the opportunity to replenish some canned foods we had been using more of lately due to the weather.  I figured food would be more of an issue than wipes if we decided to stay home for an extended period.  

Now I see this morning that TP is the next thing they are having run on.  Our local Costco has put a limit of 2 per customer.  Two of those multi packs are a lot.  Oh and water.  We have enough of both.  I can see it now all of there people being found dead starved to death surrounded by TP and water.  (yeah, I stole that from FB).

At church yesterday, shaking hands had decreased, which IMO is a good thing during any season of sickness not just corona virus.  I offered my elbow several times.  I got chuckles and a return elbow.  Everyone understood.  Since I got stuck on security again by the door, I didn't offer my hand as usual unless someone offered theirs.  Visitors was a different story.  I did shake a few of theirs.  I didn't want to make them not feel welcome.  I kept hand sanitizer on me for those instances.  I had to remind 'K' not to shake hands.  We are in the class pf folks that is most vulnerable, on several levels, so we are trying to be a little more cautious.  Not even positive those things will work.  

The course I took offered by the small town PD for Civilian response to active shooter, was much better than I expected.  Only one other person from our security team attended unfortunately.  I wish I had taken 'K' with me, she would have benefited.  I know that we will now revisit some of our security plan.  We also got the instructor to come out and talk to our congregation about the things they should know.  Having him do it would be much more effective than if I or the other person that attended tried to do it.  He has the cred we don't for this type issue.  

I also signed up for a shooting course this Friday.  We will learn how to draw and fire our weapon from a holster.  That will fit nicely with our security work,  They will also work on accuracy, which I no doubt can use.  It's about 2 hours, classroom and range work.  I have sent the info to all our team members, but have gotten no feedback.  I will probably be the only one.

Yes, I know, I'm late on my Fall of the Alamo pic.  I will try to be on time for the Goliad massacre.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

All smart moves. And training/trigger time is good!