Saturday, November 16, 2019

Grands and Food

The older Grands spent Friday night with us.  Their Mom and Dad were going out to celebrate Mom's birthday.  We don't see them much anymore.  The older they get the more things they have on their plate.  Plus it's not as cool to hang with the Grandparents, even though they seem to enjoy it while here.  I had bought one of those birch chunk of log I had seen at the grocery store.  Mostly out of curiosity.  This was the perfect time to try it out.  So we did and it was pretty cool and burned easily.  Yes, we made s'mores.  I had never had them before but knew about them.  Very tasty but of course being diabetic I should leave them alone.  I had to try one, wanted more.



And a close up of the log flaming.  For 10$ it was worth it.  Burned a little over an hour.  

Today I am trying something new (to me) on the grill.  Pollos Asados.  The literal translation is roast (grilled) chicken.  But, this is a very Mexican way of cooking it.  This has a seasoning called achiote.  AH-CHEE-O-TAY.  Unless you go to a truly Mexican restaurant that specializes in this, you won't find it anywhere except a very weak version at Pollo Loco.  It really doesn't even come close.  There are about 3-4 of these places in all of San Antonio.  A city that has a Mexican Restaurant on nearly every corner.  This is as close as you can get to real Mexican food without going there.  It has a citrus season that will char up really nice.  These chicken quarters were pre-seasoned at the store.  I found some of the seasoning and I will be trying it myself.  I'm not a huge chicken fan but this....I have fallen in love with this style.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Interesting... I'll have to hit the local mexican food market up and see if they have that seasoning.