Monday, July 9, 2018

Researched Tomato Blossom Rot and Buster Not Doing So Well

I found 3 separate articles that pretty much all echo each other.  I have no idea why these didn't show up the first time I tried looking for solutions a couple years ago.  As it turns out there could be several issues including a simple lack of calcium.  I am not sure I really understand it all.  Erratic water patterns.  Well that could certainly be the case.  I only water around once a week but if rain comes it throws everything off.  But this has been the case even when I didn't have the rot.  In fact I am watering more regular now than previously.  It also has something to do with too much nitrogen.  They refer to the fertilizer you use as having too much.  This causes the plant to grow to fast, faster than it should in order to absorb the calcium.  I only fertilize once, when they plants go in the ground.  I only use organic fertilizer (cow manure).  I have no idea how much nitrogen is in that.  My friend that has answered a lot of questions for me before fertilizes once a week with an organic homemade concoction.  I'm much too lazy for anything like that.  He adds all sorts of things I never even heard of.  He has a very organized and clean garage too.  That should tell you something.  I always say that a clean organized garage is the sign of a sick mind.  I have known only two people with this particular sickness.  Anyway, I am not real sure how to proceed other than to add more Epsom Salts ever so often.  This is the reason I stopped growing tomatoes back before I had internet.  I never knew any of this prior.  

My little fur buddy is on the downward decline.  He turned 14 this last month.  It is getting harder and harder for him to get around.  The vet told us last year he thought he probably had slipped discs that caused his stumbling issues.  Our slick floors just adds to the problems of his mobility.  Getting up from laying down is a real struggle and he even gives up at times.  He never lets on that he is in pain< but I am sure there must be some.  He has gotten weaker and weaker in his hind legs and has trouble with the steps out back.  We take him out front now so he can avoid negotiating the steps.  I have been shopping the www to find some booties that will give him more traction.  He has always been very sensitive to anyone messing with his feet.  He licks his front paws quite a bit too.  I fear he will just try to tear them off.  But we have to give it a try and see if we can make his moving around easier and safer.  he wouldn't even get up to greet us when we came home today.  That was a first.  When he finally tried to get up it seemed his whole back was having spasms and he couldn't control his left hind leg.  Sad times are ahead.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

So sorry to hear that. Fur kids DO become our children later in life...