Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Man Rules

I know, I haven't been posting much.  Life has gotten in the way.  Nothing important, just general things, nothing worth mentioning here.

A couple posts back I mentioned a young lad (13 years old I believe) I helped with his Texas History assignment.  Things have been moving pretty fast for his family the last week.  He is being raised by a single Mom along with his sister.  His Mom has some very serious health issues, and a move to South Carolina to be with closer relatives is the best for them at this time.  It gets real complicated as to what all is involved and I won't go into that here.  The health issues are life threatening.  

I haven't gotten to spend as much time with him as I should have, they live about 45 minutes away, school etc. and life in general and my laziness just kept getting in the way.  His Mom has asked me to talk with him in the past since he has no father or male figure present in his life.  I was a bit leery at first taking on the responsibility of mentoring in the manner of a role model.  I take raising my kids as an issue only I and my wife are responsible for.  I don't for a second believe in 'it takes a village.'  No one else is responsible for their kids but the parents themselves.  God loaned these lives to us, not the village.  So me giving important advice to someone else's kids, serious life advice, I wasn't real keen on that.  It only took me a few seconds to change and give him some words he needed to hear.

We never got around to going fishing together, my fault.  He wanted to learn to make the coin rings I make on occasion.  But he couldn't come to our house since he was deathly allergic to cats and we had two.  I couldn't take all the tools to his house.  We teased each other about our favorite football teams.  He did it just to raze me a little, I don't think he was a real fan of the rival school.

He has been on my mind enough that I plan to send him off with a couple remembrances of me.  He likes to work on things with tools.  He will get a multitool.  I hope I can get a personalized scabbard made for it too.  He will also get a small New Testament.  I had planned on giving him one of mine but it has seen some better days.  I may pony up for a new one so it lasts longer.  I am not at all sure which would mean more to him.  I have also composed a letter.  It has my goodbyes and well wishes and my list of "Man Rules."  These man rules aren't what you see on the internet and meant as funny etc.  These are all biblically based and I believe his Mom would appreciate that more and maybe she can refer to them too.  Maybe they will plant a seed.  I will take him to lunch before he leaves and have a chat and give him these things.  I think I'm gonna miss this little guy a bit.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

You're doing the right thing by giving him a POSITIVE example.