Friday, February 16, 2018

Technology and Grandparents

For the most part I do pretty well with technology.  I can make things work like I want them to and play around with it in order to learn 'how to' with various functions.  It was a matter of survival for me as it became a huge part of my job.  I learned mostly by OJT, no classes, just hands on, figure it out for yourself.  I think that method was better for my level of need, it stayed with me.  Learning via a class situation would not have been as productive for me.

Thursday we went to visit my parents.  They mentioned they were having issues with their printer.  My brother had been over and messed around with it some and told them it appeared there was something wrong with the printer other than just needing ink or paper.  So I took that as a cue to try my luck.  As it turns out, it was the same type printer I have so I knew a few things about it and would give it a try.  Well, I determined my brother was most likely right.  They rarely if ever print anything.  So I told them if they really felt like they had to have a printer to look around for a really cheap one instead of ponying up what this one cost new, over 250$.  Yes, cheap ones have issues too, but I'm hoping they decide to just pass on getting another printer.

Son #2 was there also and was trying to get their DVD player working with their TV and sound system.  He did that but trying to teach them how to turn everything on and get it working right was turning into an issue.  They wrote down instructions for them in order to watch their movies.  I am not holding out much hope.  This is the second time they have gone through this. 

K was also trying to show Mom some things on her smartphone.  Oh my, the frustration level for my mother was pretty low by this point.  We were not really able to help them much at all the best I can tell, Mom was shutting down on this technology thing.  I could see it in her expression.  She kept saying she was just too stupid.  No, it certainly is not that.  It is more like, they get frustrated too quickly so they avoid using certain things and never really take the time to learn how to use it.  I understand that.  I get frustrated too at times and have to walk away, but I don't give up.  But the old saying 'use it or lose it' applies to being able to use technology in the way they would need too.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sadly true. And it isolates the elderly even more.