Thursday, June 9, 2022

Stressed Habitat and Stressed Wildlife

The lack of rain is very telling in the habitat where I live.  I manage to keep some of my grass and plants alive by abundant watering.  This is nothing new to this part of Texas, or any part for that matter.  However we are very near the Great Chihuahua Desert.  Most of it is in Mexico but it reaches well up into Texas.  I happen to live on the edge of it and the Texas Hill Country, practically on the Balcones Escarpment.  So we get some strange weather at times due to the varied landscape.  

Currently we are in a drought, again.  Droughts happen regularly here.  Some last a couple months.  The last big one lasted 3 years.  Yes it does rain during those droughts, but it isn't enough to bust a drought.  Is this the start of another multi year drought?  I have no idea and I haven't heard any predictions.  

Most all of our water comes from an underground aquifer.  The Edwards Aquifer is a natural underground water supply.  No one really knows how much water is in it.  Some say it is unlimited, others are always shouting warnings about it going dry.  Various Springs and streams have gone dry in the past.  

Now, we are undergoing a great migration of people from other states.  It's very rare to meet anyone that is a native anymore.  Most all are foreigners.  This increased population is added stress on the water situation.  Plus all the growth decreases the habitat and it's ability to do what nature intended, like refresh the aquifer.  I am not an alarmist about this.  Just pointing out the harsh realities of a lack of rain on the environment, the habitat and the wildlife.  They suffer more than we do.  We might lose some grass or a shrub or maybe even a tree.  In the big picture, that is nothing.  

We are seeing some effects with the wildlife earlier this year than most others.  The deer here are always scavenging on yards.  If you have expensive flowers etc. they most likely have been well manicured at no charge.  I haven't needed to cut my grass in the front more than once.  And there is plenty of fertilizer left in your yard.  So much you have to check your feet before you come inside.  I have made the mistake recently.  I will spare you any deer poop pictures.

A couple mornings ago it was still dark but I am letting the dogs out to do their business in my fenced back yard.  I open the door and Snickers is out like a shot as always.  I spot a doe out the door.  That almost never happens.  Once or twice I forget to close a gate and a few have gotten in.  A couple more jumped the fence to avoid dogs on the street.  Watching them jump the fence is pretty cool, it's 4.5'.  Sometimes it takes me getting around to one side to open a gate and herd them through.  They will still run into the fence until they figure it.  It's hard to watch them run full steam into a fence.  But Snickers was out and on the chase.  Back and forth, back and forth,  No way am I catching him to stop the chase.  All I can do is herd the doe toward the fence and hope she figures out how she got in is the same way out, by jumping.  Finally she cleared it after at least four trips.  What a way to start a morning without my coffee.  

I check around and the deer had hit my garden.  Just trimmed a few tomato plants and potato plants.  No real damage.  Glad she didn't jump that two foot fence.  Not sure if it's the condition of the habitat that tempted her to jump but she could have done much much worse.  I think it was just a chance thing.  I hope.

Sorry it took me so long to say 'a deer ate my garden.'  It just got away from me.  :)

Happy Trails


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Snort... deer ate my garden... Yes, we're definitely behind the curve on rain all over the state!