Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Sunday's Excitement

I have no idea why my header photos are so small.  I am using the same sizes I always have.  I blame blogger.

Yesterday I hinted at things that happened Sunday.  So here it is. 
 
Sundays, without fail we head to the church house.  First one up let's Snickers out to do doggy things.  This will happen a few times throughout out the morning.  'K' had just showered and I was in full soap made when she comes in to tell me Snickers got out.  She runs out to catch him.  She could see him wandering around a few houses down having a grand old time.  She is out there in just her robe after her shower.  Not a good thing.  She gets her keys to chase him down in the car but tries shaking the keys and calling him.  He comes running, thinking he is going for a ride.  She gets him inside.  That's great.  Oh but that's not all.  

'K' had found that the gate had been left open.  We assume it was one of the workers but we can't be certain as I went through it at least once the day before.  Sometimes when you close it, it doesn't latch right.  She closed it when she found it.  We let him ack out while we are still getting ready for breakfast and church.  I am out of the shower by now.  We hear Snickers barking frantically.  Very unusual bark.  Next thing we hear the bleating of a deer.  I knew immediately what had happened.  A deer got in through the open gate and the chase was on.  This has happened before with deer getting in an open gate.  Only it wasn't a deer.  It was a fawn.  'K' had already gotten out there as I was still getting dressed.  She found two fawns not one.  They apparently had been in there long enough to lay down and not be found on Snickers' first trip out.  They had awakened and were roaming around when Snickers spotted them and the chase was on.  If you have ever seen a scared fawn run from danger they have little awareness of their surroundings other than to escape.  They don't understand fences and will repeatedly run into it.  One of the fawn was laying by the gate.  'K' picks it up and moves it outside of the fence where Mom is waiting for her to deal with it.  Snickers is in full chase mode with the other and I am trying to get where I can grab the fawn, almost but failed.  Snickers catches up to the fawn on the other side of the house where the gate is and wants to play.  All he does is try to sniff the fawn.  I thought for sure he would do harm.  But no, not even close.  I finally herd the fawn out the open gate.  

I return to check the other fawn.  It's not breathing.  I try several things to try and revive it.  It kicked once and gasped a couple times but is just limp.  I assume it broke it's neck running into the fence it did not see.  Mom deer is watching me closely but doesn't stomp me like I have seen.  I'm sorry to say the fawn did not make it.  All of this happened before 7:30 AM in a very short time, much less time than it took to tell it.  At least one of the neighbors saw much of this due to hearing the ruckus.

We finally get inside and 'K' let the tears flow.  Her very tender heart is just overwhelmed with all this and the build up of the stress of the repairs.  It had been a little tense.  Of course I don't really understand at first why she is crying.  Yes, I'm a dumbass.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Wow, busy morning NOT in a good way. And nature took its course, just not in the way y'all wanted.