Saturday, July 3, 2021

Finished?

Not technically.  We have to put some things back together to make it livable again.  We will leave all the decor and knick knacks out as they would have to be moved again when the floor contractor comes. 

The subcontractor left late Thursday.  They were mostly focused on getting the kitchen finished.  The painting of the cabinets was a major chore.  I am not sure they had ever painted cabinets before.  They also painted the entire ceiling in every room where any grinding dust landed.  That is the largest part of the house.  We never asked then to do that, but with the failure of the dust containment and the tape removing spots of the texture, they obviously had no choice.  All I did was point out the issues.  All that's really left for their part is installing baseboards, but that won't happen until the floor install.  The project manager is sending a cleaning crew out Tuesday AM.  'K' and I have been cleaning here and there just for our own sanity and it looks pretty good.  I have been having a minor sore throat and headaches and voice sounds scratchy.  It's like having an allergy coming on.  I'm sure it's dust.  I just hope they can get the remaining dust that we don't seem to be able to get.  We still leave tracks in our bedroom from the dust sticking to our shoes.  Snickers also leaves puppy prints on our leather furniture.  It's mostly on the floors and walls at this point.  'K' and I will paint the walls of the all the rooms where work was being done to match the new flooring.  That will handle the dust if the cleaning crews don't work on that.  

We ordered our flooring yesterday and put half down.  They tell is about 3 weeks before work can start and it will take 2-3 days.  We had to go with our second choice as our first is not available at this time, it could be another 2 months.  We have mixed feelings about not waiting but there is no difference in durability, it's just a minor color difference.  It's also cheaper and will save us 1k-1.5k$.  

So today we are focusing on the kitchen, getting it put back together so we can use it.  There are also some things I have to do due to the lack of attention to detail the subcontractor messed up.  They use day labor so they aren't really professional painters.  They painted the rails of the drawers of all things.  So they are sticking even after they addressed that.  They missed one entirely.  I am thinking of using some WD 40 to see if that loosens them up or some graphite (not sure about that though).  They are useable, just not as smooth as before.  I also noticed that the ceiling in the dining room was missed along the edges where it meets the wall and around one AC register.  I will do that since they left us about a gallon of paint.  I could gripe at the PM and make them come back out and finish, but we are both tired of messing with them and having to wait on them to get out so we can be comfortable in our own house.  It's easy enough for me to handle.  I don't want them back.  I may even do the baseboards.  Nah, they will have to come back for that.  I don't want to have to buy the wood.

OK, I have to get back at it.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

At least there is some progress. And yes, you usually have to go behind them... sigh