Saturday, June 26, 2021

Day 3 of Repairs

What a dusty mess.  We knew it would be a mess, but still, this is just awful.  They started the serious grinding of the slab to get all the thin set from the tile off the concrete.  They even had to use the grinder and a power chisel to get some of the tile off.  They told me that it seemed to be stuck down with and extra layer of thin set.  It just would not come off with a hammer like usual.

 





We were forced to sit outside yesterday as there was just too much dust in the house.  I got a sore throat and headache the day before when I holed up in my man cave.  And that was with plastic placed to keep the dust confined.  We had to move from our spot under the trees when they started.  They were venting the grinder dust outside and it looked like smoke it was so heavy.  It was heading right for us.  It just can't be avoided when work like this is done it seems.  They are bringing a cleaning lady today.  I'm not sure what she will do.  I hope she has some sort of commercial vacuum.  That very fine dust will kill a regular vacuum.  Don't ask me how I know this.  They also have a very big job cleaning our furniture.  They told us they were going to move it out into a pod.  They decided to just shift it around.  We didn't object since we didn't know the containment wouldn't work that well.  I'm not sure how this extremely fine dust will ever get completely cleared out.  I used my shop vac on the floor where we would be walking, a sort of pathway into our other rooms to try to keep from tracking it in there.  It got some but you can still see it adhered to the concrete.  Only water will get that off.  I vacuumed the front porch where the vent was and had to resort to using the water hose to see any difference.  

Today they will finish repairs on the sheetrock, the repairs to the cabinets, sanding and painting of all the cabinets.  And yes, we got our dishwasher.  It will get installed after they finish painting I assume.  Somewhere in there the remaining wood floor will be wrecked.  Maybe another week to get to the point floors can be installed.  But that will be another contractor and details still need to be worked out.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Gah, yes the dust is invasive, to put it mildly. I had to wipe down surfaces with a damp sponge to get most of the dust up AFTER I'd vacuumed it.