Tuesday, May 31, 2022

'K' Let Me

If you don't already know, I love Australian Shepherds.  Our Buster crossed the Rainbow Bridge 3 years ago.  Not real sure about the time frame.  Ever since I always stop when I see one.  We were looking for another when we finally decided if we weren't able to travel like we wanted to we would get another dog.  So we started searching shelters and rescues.  We stuck out a number of times.  But we found Snickers and have been set since.  

During that time I subscribed to an email 'Adopt a Pet.'  You could put in what you were looking for and they would send you an email notice with any that became available, whether a shelter or a rehome.  Passed on several when I just couldn't pull the trigger since we now had Snickers.  That is until Saturday evening.  A mini-Aussie female became available from someone that was too busy to care for her.  I applied and we heard back Sunday and went to meet them to see if it was a good fit that afternoon.  So meet Abby:



The proper breed is an American Shepherd.  They started calling them that instead of a mini Australian Shepherd.  I think there was some controversy about what constituted an Australian Shepherd and a mini Aussie.  Doesn't really matter to me.  She is a tiny thing, 11.5 lbs at her last vet visit in January.  She is a lot of fur.  She is pretty quiet so far.  It's been hard on her being with people she doesn't know in a completely strange place.  She pretty much shut down.  She has gotten a little better.  Looks to me for comfort and will come to me occasionally when I call her.  Finally has started eating and drinking after 36 hours or so.  She prefers to go in Snickers crate, which is fine.  We will be patient and let her come to us.  This will take a long time according to experts, 4-6 months to see her true personality.  I've got time.  We won't change her name since she is 3 years old and knows her name.  
Snickers is being very patient but is curious but gives her her space.  

Speaking of Snickers, we had a little guy come out to visit him while we were walking the other day.  


Just a friendly puppy, but they could be brothers.  I wanted to take him home lol.

More in a day or two.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Nice find! And patience will be rewarded in the fullness of time.