Monday, March 14, 2022

More Freezes and the Tiller

As predicted we had freezing weather again last week.  They said light freeze which usually means there won't be one this time of year.  Well the light freeze was correct for the most part but Saturday morning it was much colder than a light freeze.  It got down to 27 in town.  By the time I got up my temp reading was 29.  All day Friday was mostly 40 with winds around 40 mph that were unceasing.  That makes it very uncomfortable when there is no sun.  So we stayed inside most the entire time.  This past weekend was the latest freeze in our parts since 2006 'officially.'  We have had later here up in the hills.  I think that the average last day for freezes here is 3/13.  Not sure we won't have another the way this winter has gone.  It has played havoc with the wildflowers getting started.  I see several trees that had blooms earlier this week that have turned brown now.   

I am not going to get a a big hurry with my garden due to the crazy weather.  But I did get my little tiller out and tried it out.  I must say I was pleased and it caused  me so much less work.  

A shot of the tiller and before use:


                                                           Results


This is an above ground garden so I didn't go too deep as I have a weed barrier I didn't want to deal with.  I am pleased how well it did.  I will bring in more soil to mix in with what I have and then start shopping for plants.  I may try potatoes this year.  I know nothing about them but saw a video on you tube on how to do it and I may give it a try.  

Tomorrow (Tuesday) I head to surgery for my cataract on my right eye.  I'll be glad when I get that behind me.  But I am looking forward to being able to see better again and rarely wear glasses that I have for almost 40 years.  

Happy Trails


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Those little tillers are nice! And hope the surgery goes well! Cataracts are a PITA, but the change is apparently astounding!