Saturday, September 26, 2020

Saturday

In case you're wondering, the new photo at the top was taken by my Grandfather while he was in the Army Air Service.  It is a Handley-Paige bomber and I believe the photo was taken 1919-1921 at Kelly Field.  I plan on changing out that photo every so often with old photos I have of mine and those I have collected from family.  I will try to remember to explain what each photo is.  If I don't please ask if you are interested at all.

Son#1 and his 2 kids will be coming to the house today.  His wife has gone with her parents to Arizona.  We will be watching the Longhorns and then eating supper together.  We both have been lifelong 'Horns' fans.  (I took him to several games when he was young and now he is a season ticket holder.)  This is a rare event that he can find the time to come over for no real reason.  I look forward to it.

Since the weather yesterday started out cool I took advantage of that and did a little tree work.  Yes, I paid big bucks last October to have them worked over.  However, if you know live oaks, they tend to get these sprouts or suckers that makes them look like they need a shave.  They have been looking more and more ragged due to so many sprouts.  With all the clearing that was done last year, more sunshine is getting through so the sprouts have gone crazy.  I still have several days worth of work until I am satisfied.  It's fairly easy work.  I take them off with a saw blade on my pole trimmer.  The issue is some are too high for the pole trimmer or to flexible and just bend and not get cut off.  I then stand on a ladder and pull them off by hand.  No, I don't climb trees anymore.  When I say 'several days,'  It's just a couple hours each day.  My neck and arms can only work overhead like that for a very short time.  So I stop every so often to rest those aching muscles and then start again for shorter and shorter periods.  But it gets done.

I can guess the wack jobs will go even more nuts today when the President announces his nomination for the Supreme Court vacancy.  I hope and pray that there is no violence and cooler heads will prevail.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, I ended up hiring a tree trimmer to come in and do mine, as there were plenty of them WELL above my/pole saw reach. Re the other, hunker down and stay safe.