Tuesday, September 22, 2020

2nd Try For This Post

The Granddaughter (the baby) is here for a few days.  Her Mom went back to in person school Monday.  Although there are no students yet.  She won't have any students until mid October.  Not sure the need for her to be there that far in advance but what do I know?  Her Dad is starting a new campaign for his latest book offering and needs to focus on that without a toddler interfering with her needs for the first few days of the kickoff.  We are very glad to do this as I have mentioned before.  It is a blessing in these dark times for sure.

We continue our preps.  'K' is really on board this time.  I think our few preps we had prior to the start of the pandemic has her more inclined to do more.  And she understands what may happen around the election.  

She wants water barrels (we have no room for barrels-there are other options I am exploring).  She has become aware of generators.  I have no practical experience with generators.  Our power rarely goes out, especially for any extended period.  I have never used one either.  I have been doing a little research.  There are tons of generators.  It seems the one that may fit our possible needs is one of the most spendy.  I have a hard time justifying in my mind the need for such an expense for something that may never be used.  Yes, I know, to have and not need than to need and not have.  But at that price I struggle.  I have seen other options I may consider.  They are noisier and use more fuel.  Fuel is an issue too.  Storing the needed amount is a real issue.  No room and the safety of storing, and then rotating it out before it gets bad.  It seems daunting with our limited space.  Especially for any long term needs.  Our specific need would be for keeping our refrigerators running.  If power goes out for more than three days or a week, a generator may be useless after that due to our lack of fuel storage.  It's a quandary for my lack of experience.  If you have tips, please chime in.  The best generator for our needs that I mentioned above is a Honda.  But at 1+K I balk.

I don't want to say bad things about anyone that has passed.  Ruth Ginsburg's family deserves that much.  I hope that some one takes her place that supports the constitution and not political ideals like she did.  Someone that will not champion the odious abortion rights and protect the lives of the unborn.

Happy Trails  

4 comments:

CenTexTim said...

Can't speak from personal experience, but someone mentioned propane generators as an alternative to gas powered ones. The advantage is obvious. You can store tanks of propane for a lot longer than gas. There are even dual fuel generators that run on both gasoline and propane. Here's one example. I'm sure you can find more. Good luck.

https://westinghouseoutdoorpower.com/products/igen4500df-inverter-generator-dual-fuel

Old NFO said...

NO help here. I have the same storage issues.

MattB said...

My vote goes to the duel fuel --propane or gasoline. Propane stores for a long time and stays fresh.

Randy said...

Thanks, i'll take a look at those dual fuel but I suspect they may be too spendy