Monday, July 3, 2023

A Little PEW PEW Practice...or So I Thought

July is starting out weird.  I got a pretty neat present from 'K' for Christmas.  Have you seen those Mantis Laser kits?  They allow you to practice with your firearm using a laser that is inserted in the barrel through the breach not the end like some are.  You can get them in several calibers.  'K' heard the advertisement on the radio and thought it was a great gift for Christmas.  I was aware of them but never paid any attention to it.  I just wouldn't spend that on myself.  


I finally got it out and planned to practice with it and get 'K' out there too.  I was setting up in the garage where we would have adequate room and the neighbors couldn't see and freak out.  Tried to insert the laser cartridge and it isn't working.  As you can see from the above photo the laser cartridge (brass thing) appears to be next to the 9mm on the right.  At least that is what I thought.  I look at the cartridge itself and oops, 40mmSW.  That won't fit in a 9mm and I don't own a 40mm anything.  After a few back and forth emails Mantis and their suggestions about getting in touch with the gun store (gone out of business) it was purchased from they asked for the UPC code on the box.


Ugh, 40 mm SW.  I apparently am out of luck.  I thought it had been packed incorrectly.  Not so.  The gun shop screwed up by giving 'K' a kit for 40mm and she bears no fault.  I probably would have done the same just looking inside and not the UPC code.  So this thing is an expensive door stop unless I buy another laser cartridge.  I would have bought at least another caliber to go long with the 9mm I have or maybe two to use in my other firearms.  I hadn't planned on 3.  Maybe one for now so I can at least use this thing.  

Lesson?  When you get a gift, check it out and verify what you got is correct and useable.  

July 4 is our 48th Anniversary and we will head over to the preacher's house where anyone from our church is invited.  Hot dogs, hamburgers and every kind of desert you can imagine is on the menu.  They do this every year (except) for the pandemic years.  There is always a great turn out.  It will be hot but I don't plan on moving around much and make sure I have cold drinks.  I can always go home early too.  This is what 'K' wants for our anniversary so she gets what she wants.

Happy Trails




1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sorry to hear Mantis won't do an exchange... Grrr...