Sunday, March 12, 2023

Life is Not Fun Right Now

On top of everything else going on with us, I am down in my back.  I have a dislocated vertebrae, the L5, that acts up every so often.  When it does, it's very painful, I can barely walk at times.  They telll me the only way to fix that is surgery.  I am avoiding that as long as possible.  I don't know anybody that has had a successful back surgery that hasn't needed more later.  I have been hitting the Ibuprofen pretty hard and icing it down.  I get a little relief but not near enough to be able to function normally.  'K's back is also bothering her.  Most all of it is in relation to moving Mom and getting ready to sell her left over things.  Too much lifting and standing.  Although I have done very little.

I had to go over and be with Mom for a little while one night.  Just spend a little time and let her talk.  She was more rational than she has been.  Usually that's all it takes to help her out.  Others involved don't seem to grasp that.  Let's just say overreaction causes us all concern.  I try very hard to keep a cool head and listen before I react.  A negative reaction, even if it is only a facial expression, works against us.  Dementia is a curse.  Hopefully the new doctor can give her some help.  She will see him Monday.

When other family is involved there can be even more stress.  Differing opinions, not doing what they think you should be doing etc.  I try also not to react to those situations.  Selling Mom's car is one thing I apparently am not doing fast enough.  Her license tags are due this month.  They want it gone before then so we don't have to pay that fee.  So I get helpful advice even though they said they wouldn't.  I get it.  I don't want to pay that either.  My back has prevented me from following up on that.  Maybe this week I can get the title from the DMV.  I will get an appointment in order to cut down on the time I have to wait and aggravate my back more.

There is much more going on behind the scenes I could rant about but would serve no purpose.  Mom does have good days too but we let the bad ones overwhelm us.  That needs to be worked on.

Life is not fun fight now, but it could always be much worse.  Our Faith sustains us.

Happy Trails


3 comments:

CenTexTim said...

This sounds like my life several years ago. My mother suffered from dementia that progressively got worse as time passed. It wore down my father, sister, and myself over the years, but we took care of her because she took care of us for most of her life. Then I had back surgery...

I don't mean to depress you. Mom eventually passed (peacefully, thank God), Dad enjoyed his remaining years, and my sister's and my lives got back to normal. My back surgery went very well, and I have had minimal problems since then (knock on wood). Of course, much depends on what is actually wrong with your back, and how skilled the surgeon is.

The point I'm trying to make is that you're not alone. I know life can seem bleak at times, but as you said, it could be worse. Hang in there. Better days are coming.

Old NFO said...

Hang in there, and know we DO care about y'all. Prayers that things get better.

Randy said...

Old NFO & CenTexTim: Thanks to both of you. It means much to have your thoughts and concern. We are doing pretty well regardless of how I may sound. Our Faith sustains us.