Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Comedy of Errors

I'm such a goof.  My own errors have led to more trouble than it should have been to get my Mother's car transferred to my name and then sold.  Part of the issue is also my Mother not wanting to go places to get this done.  Having the title transferred to my name would alleviate that issue.  I struck out a second time at the DMV.  A transfer is handled by the County, not the State.  They have their own form that requires a notary public also.  SMH.  We already got two forms notarized this past Sunday.  Fortunately the notary came to her facility to do this.  She also had been a resident at the same one my Mother is at now.  Consequently she made a error on one of the forms and pretty much invalidated it.  I did not have a spare with me.  So I was left with the one valid form to transfer to my name.  The other would have transferred it to her name, (this is because Dad's name is also on the title and has since passed).  She never went to probate with his will so it never got done.  Both names on the title is causing issues that have made me determined to never do that with my own vehicles ever again.  Both now are that way.  The other issue is I signed a form when it should have been my Mother, but at least that one did not need to be notarized.  That form prevented me from even obtaining the title as is.  Not sure that would have helped at all but I thought it might be a good idea at the time.  

One other thing the county requires is a valid inspection 'not more than 90 days old.'  Seriously?  Well OK, hers expires this month anyway (but we hoped to sell it before then).  I get ready to go get it inspected and...dead battery.  Not really surprising, it doesn't get driven much.  It hasn't moved since we brought it out here.  Maybe 4 weeks.  I don't know, everything regarding all this has gummed up the timeframe in my mind.  It didn't get driven much at all when Mom was able.  Hence only 21,000 miles on a 2015 car.  It's now on the charger and I still hope to get the inspection done on it later today.   Then tomorrow maybe get the other form notarized and another trip to the county and see if they can get it done...of course if I have done everything right this time.  Double checking and I will have 'K' check it too.

Now back to working on our taxes.  Hope I get that right...

Happy Trails


No comments: