Monday, January 17, 2022

Cataracts and Carne Guisada

Saturday was extremely windy here.  Red Flag warning were in effect and the Mountain Cedar was also off the charts.  It was pretty chilly also.  So I have stayed inside almost the entire time.  I would like to be outside more but when the winds are this high and persistent I avoid it.  
'K' decided she wanted some of my Carne Guisada with the colder weather.  So I obliged since it was one of my favorites.  Passed on Mexican rice this time and just went with straight white rice just for a change up.  We had gone back to the Mexican meat market and stocked up on hamburger, stew meat and pork chops.  The stew meat being what I use in the carne guisada.  We scored big with the hamburger.  4lbs for 6.99/lb, and it's 80/20 which is my preference.  We got 8 lbs but it looked more like 70/30.  The flavor is better than what we have been getting at Costco and HEB and they can't touch that price.  The stew meat was 4.99/lb.  The pork chops were 2.99lb which is a little higher but we both agree these have better flavor than the ones we usually get.  Passed on the ribeyes we got last time.  They were bone in and had been 9.99/b (it was a treat).  This time they were 12.99/lb.  Yikes!  No thank you.

I have multiple doctor appointments this month.  Ophthalmologist was this past Friday and everything was good and we talked about cataract surgery.  I have an evaluation late next month.  Due to my diabetes he doesn't recommend the multi distance lens which I had hoped for.  They will be just those that correct my distance vision, I would still need some readers for close up.  I'll take it, my vision has continued to get worse over the last 5 years.  He actually thought I could wait longer but due to my frustration with reading and seeing road signs he agreed.  My Dad had this surgery at an older age and it was pure hell for him.  His lenses had gotten so stiff and hard they had a lot of trouble removing them.  They had to shatter them to get them out and it was very painful.  I just thought getting it done sooner maybe I could avoid that.  

Next week is my diabetes check up and then the following week with my urologist to check my prostate cancer status.  I don't expect any surprises.  Now I'm off to eat my carne guisada.  If you don't know what that is, it is a basic beef stew with a Mexican flavor.  This is TexMex style, not true Mexican.  TexMex is a style that originated in San Antonio, arguably.  It's darker brown than this photo shows.




Happy Trails

3 comments:

Pinky said...

That carne guisada looks delicious! One of my more favorite dishes from TexMex restaurants, though not all know how to make it as good it seems.

Old NFO said...

That is some good looking carne guisada!!! And yes, better now than later on the surgery.

Randy said...

Pinky-Thank you. You are absolutely right about many not knowing how to make it. In the Area around me you never know what you might get it is so diverse. then you come across on that is simply amazing.

Old NFO-Thanks, it turned out pretty good but needed a little more salt. Hopefully the surgery will make things better, I have a lot of confidence in my doctor, but not in my eyes