Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Errand and Inflation

Monday was a day for errands.  Groceries (ugh), Home Depot, get the vehicle washed etc.  The Exploder was in bad need of a wash after the trip to the coast.  Not as bad as previous times, but I don't like to let that sand and salt sit on and in it too long.  Waxed it Tuesday.  Home Depot to pick up a few things to finish up painting the patio.

The grocery trip was mainly to start picking up things for Thanksgiving.  This year turkey is out.  My preference would be enchiladas but no one (in our family) makes them very well.  (I am going to be working on that in the near future).  This year it's Baby Back Ribs.  They have all been bugging me to make them.  They and a few others tell me they are the best they have ever had.  I don't know.  Since they are not my favorite it is hard for me to judge.  I am not a big pork eater and get my fill pretty quick.  They are fall off the bone tender though.  Seriously, you can grab a rack by one bone and it pulls right out-without any meat on said bone.    I like ribs that way.  No nibbling on the bone and getting it stuck in your teeth.  No I don't baste with sauce, ever.  Just a rub.  This IS Texas BTW.  I never have seconds on ribs and will eat them as left overs once and I have had enough.  I guess that's why I don't smoke 'em very often.  'K' loves having them for leftovers.

As for the rest of the grocery shopping we were doing our regular outing which includes stocking up a little.  I knew this was going to be expensive.  With the extra meat it was bound to be.  Five racks of ribs (double the price per pound as in the past).  The basket was getting pretty full but there was a lot of room for more.  We were guessing with each other about how much it was going to be.  After we checked out I asked 'K' how much and she said 'you don't want to know.'  So  I guessed and was over by 50$, guessed again and was under by 25$.  But we hit a new record sadly.  I realized about then that we had spent as much for this one time as we had spent for a whole month a couple years ago.  I just had to shake my head.  

Oh and at Home Depot I was behind a guy buying a small amount of lumber and he was grimacing and shaking his head and said something about how expensive it had gotten.  I told him: 'you can thank Joe Biden.'  He responded about like you would guess with an F Joe Biden.  I just said 'let's go Brandon.'  

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Prices are getting HIGH! $2.48 for turkey, $4.45 for hams, and $6-7/lb for BRISKET... sigh...

Randy said...

Old NFO-10.99/lb for fajitas! your prices seem a little low compared to this area