Monday, August 23, 2021

89th Birthday and Other Odds and Ends

Sunday was my Mother's 89th Birthday.  If you didn't know her you couldn't guess  that she is that old.  She is very healthy and may outlive me.  We got our Sons and their families to joins us over at her house after church.  We stopped and got some food for everyone along the way.  Mom seem so pleased and happy.  We stayed until about 3PM.  Not long enough to wear her out.  

Even with her great health, she still is preparing to leave this earth any day now.  We did have a little chat about that.  I felt like she needed to be aware of it in conversations so she didn't turn off her visitors.  Then the visitors would not come as often and she doesn't want that.  She seemed to appreciate being made aware.  

One of the things she has been working on is weeding out photographs.  There are a lot of albums of photos.  I came home with a lot of them.  Less than half and I took probably a dozen.  Most of those belonged to my Grandparents, my Dad's parents.  I will go through them and dispose of the ones we cannot figure out who the people are, or bad photos etc.  Also a lot of them are of my Grandfather's career in the Fire Department.  I may donate those to the fire museum or a friend that is a collector.  I'll keep any he is in.  We have a plan to make one wall of our home a family wall and it will get filled with old photos and some of these will find their way there.  Many will be of those that have gone on before us, some the kids never knew.  I hope they will ask who some are and what the stories are.

Painting has ceased for now.  Way too hot and humid for my old self.   The Granddaughter is here for a couple days.  The timer on my bread rising just went off.  I am thawing a chuck roast and will use Kent Rollins' recipe for smoking it.  I tried my own way once and it as a disaster, inedible.  Hopefully I can get this one done right since they are so expensive now.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Happy birthday to her! And yes, old pics and NOT knowing who is who is sad. If nothing else, try to get her to tell you what she remembers, then write the names on the back of the photo. We've done that with family pics.