Thursday, May 6, 2021

I Had No Idea

I mentioned in my last post about our flooring situation.  Evidently we have water leaking under the flooring and appears to have been doing so for a while.  That explains the uneven spots we noticed.  We ran some errands Monday and when we came home 'K' noticed a spot of water on the floor.  Nothing big, maybe a melted ice cube size.  She thought that maybe Snickers marked (he never has) or I gave him an ice cube and he didn't finish it.  She wiped up.  And then wiped it up 2 more times.  Water was seeping through the seems of the wood floor in one spot.  We got to looking closer and found we could make it squeeze through the vinyl tile planks in the kitchen.  About that time I am freaking out.  Of course I am thinking broken water line in the slab.  Then 'K' remembered she ran the dishwasher while we out.  
Called my oldest Son as he is an insurance adjuster.  He got me calmed down a bit.  Called the insurance company.  Set up for and Adjuster to contact me.  He contacted me 2 days later with more questions.  Everything is covered, whether dishwasher leaked or a line break in the slab, or from recent storms or the Snowvid in February.

I asked a lot of questions.  The answers made me feel a lot better.  The Adjuster contacted a plumbing company they use for leak detection and another for water mitigation.  The water mitigation came out that day, yesterday.  This is the result:

You can see the water on the underlay in the first photo


Kitchen-no cooking here




I had no idea they would do all this on the first visit.  They removed and hauled off ever half the flooring.  Pulled all the wood under the cabinets out so the fans could blow under.  We have 18 fans and 2 huge dehumidifiers running 24 hours for 3 days.  All the furniture is shoved to one side.  No they didn't put it back due to the fans.  And the kitchen is useless for all practical purposes.  It's loud.  We huddled down in my office and her craft room with the doors closed until bed time.  

All this and I am prepping for a colonoscopy Friday morning.  It's going to be a mess for a while, but we get all new floors and we will have some other things done while they have it messed up.  Trying to look at the positive side.  We may actually survive.

Happy Trails

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad you got answers, and a fix is in progress! Good luck with the colonoscopy. At our age, it's a necessity!

Pinky said...

Best wishes on the colonoscopy. You'll make it through the flooring issue I'm sure, but it will be an inconvenience especially until all the fans and de-humidifiers leave. They make heat too!

Did they determine where the water came from?

Randy said...

Hi Pinky-yes, the plumbers are here now. At first they said the slab but after more testing they ruled that out and the dishwasher is bad and has been leaking for a while without our knowledge