Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Make It Stop!!

Wow.  Things are pretty strange here with this weather.  We are frozen in.  I mean we can't actually leave if we needed to due to all the ice.  It hasn't snowed any more but we had freezing rain last night.  We woke up to no water.  It's only 33* this morning so I don't think any of my pipes are frozen.  It's been as low as 7* and we never lost water.  The utility that serves our area is the same that serves the entire area of San Antonio.  They have been having problems with water supply to homes all over the county.  Their equipment is apparently freezing up along with power being out to their pumps.  I'm hoping it's something on their end and not mine.  Strange that it happens now that it is warmer.  I managed to get out to the meter and shut off the supply line there.  I couldn't get my shut off cover open.  They say if you have no water to shut it off at the meter to prevent any breaks later.  I have never heard this before but I did it.  

If you live in Texas you are aware of the power problems we are having.  In short we they are geared up for peak power usage during the summer when everyone demands AC.  During the winter they actually shut down some power plants.  I guess it takes a while to get them powered up because there are a lot of folks that have been without power a long time.  They are also having rolling blackouts to help conserve power.  Somehow we have not been hit with any of those forced blackouts.  My Mother had been without power  and we couldn't get to her.  My cousin that lives nearby managed to drive over and bring her home with her.  But she didn't have power either.  They now have power as of this morning.  Power will be the next be issue/controversy with our lawmakers.  They are already catching 'heat.'  See what I did there?  We have one of those nest thermostats and the local utility has some access to it and they lower the setting for a couple hours to help save power during critical need times.  They have it lowered right now this morning.  We are trying to do our part.  I can override it if necessary.

Now they tell us more snow tonight.  Really?  I still have a couple inches on the ground.  Hopefully this 'warmer' temp will melt a lot of it and some of the ice before we get more but then the melt will probably freeze again.  We have been better off than most folks.  At least we don't have to be in line at the grocery store like I have been seeing.  It could be worse.  Keep warm, Keep safe.

Happy frozen Trials

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

It's up to a balmy 12 up here... Thankfully, we still have power and water (yeah for small towns). And inventive public works, they used a road grader to 'plow' the streets this morning to get rid of another 4" of globull warming.