Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Finally

Tuesday we finally were able to get away for a few hours and take a day trip deeper into the Texas Hill Country.  This was our annual trip to see how glorious the wild flowers are and take some photos.  Our usual route is up US 281 to just north of Johnson City over to the famous Willow City Loop.  Then we head up to Llano and back over to US 281 and home.  Despite all the predictions of a banner year for wild flowers and especially the Bluebonnet, this year was quite disappointing.  While there were flowers, they were not as abundant as in years past.  I didn't stop to take one photo as I just didn't see anything worthy of the effort.

However, we did stop in Llano as it was after lunch time and we were both very hungry.  The place we had eaten at was closed so we thought we would try Cooper's BBQ.  The line wasn't out the door as it was when we passed  it on another trip.  If you don't know Cooper's, they have a pretty big reputation.  I find those type places usually disappointing.  Yes, it is because I am a BBQ snob.  I read these 'lists' on FB that compile the best BBQ places in Texas, or the Hill Country or the best Chicken Fried Steak etc.  You have probably seen similar about other places to eat.  Well Cooper's makes almost every list I have read and there have been a bunch.  I am always looking to try out good BBQ places on day trips and having this little bit of knowledge gives me something to base my search on.  These guys did not disappoint.  The brisket is very flavorful and smoky, they also have great beans that are free and all you can eat.  This was worth the trip.  They got a 5 star Yelp review from me and I rarely give anyone a 5 star review.  So if you happen to be passing through Llano, give it a try, but be forewarned, there may be a line to get in.

Here are a couple wildflower photos of the same areas I mentioned above from previous years.




Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sigh... I miss Coopers... I don't get down there nearly enough!