Tuesday, January 23, 2024

What a Week

I have been absent for bit.  Momday the 23rd we had another ice storm.  Not real big but big enough.  I had a doctor appointment that afternoon and it was supposed to be thawed out by then in order for me to make the appointment.  So I do the usual thing I do every ice storm we have ever had.  Check it for ice.  It's on a pretty good slope.  If there is any significant ice on the driveway, we can't go anywhere.  This looked like we might have a chance.  Until I stepped on the driveway with both feet.  Next was like a Saturday cartoon.  Both feet went up in the air over my head.  While in the air I had time to tell myself...self, this is gonna hurt, ribs are going to get broken, elbow will get broken, don't hit your head.  After the dust cleared from between my ears about 2 hours later I knew I couldn't get by without a little chemical help.  Even breathing was very painful.  Off to the ER.  Enter on Monday, came home Friday.  

You may be asking, what can they do for broken ribs?  Literally nothing unless you have a punctured lung.  It boils down to pain management.  Finding the right mixture of drugs to work well enough I can function a bit.  Not pain free, mind you, just well enough to get in and out of bed or a chair and use the toilet and shower.  It also turns out that being a red head has some effect on pain meds.  I read about this before but it was confirmed with this hospital stay.  Redheads have some sort of enzyme that inhibits certain pain meds.  I also had a reaction to morphine.  They finally got it down to three meds, Oxysomething, gabaotherthing, sillysomething.  I'm sorry I can't remember the correct words with all they were pumping in me, I turned all that over to 'K'.  

I couldn't wait to get home.  But once home and getting settled in we both were thinking it was too soon.  Just figuring out ways to do things were the biggest challenge but we have over come most of that and I feel much better most of the day.  Night time is still a major issue.  It seems when I get tired of sitting around and those ribs get very grouchy and let me know it.  Once I get in bed and settled it can be pretty good.  Getting up is another story.  They say it will be 4-6 weeks before I get close to normal.  It's just a very slow painful process.  I hope those Oxycosomething doesn't run out.

Pray for 'K'

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Sorry to hear that, and these posts weren't showing up until today for some reason. Prayers for a fast recovery!