Monday, January 8, 2024

Weekebd Fun

We were headed to church yesterday and the Explorer acted weird.  It rolled out of the garage fine and then jerked into gear (thought it was in gear) and a warning icon for the drive train popped up.  I backed out of the driveway and put it in Drive and it would just barely creep along and then BAM! it jerked into gear again and the warning icon went out.  What?  We went on to church.  I did a quick internet search and most of the returns told of a wiring harness or heat sensor for the transmission.  I called Ford this morning, and they said if the light went off and it's not doing it they can't tell me anything even if we brought it in.  I figured as much.  They want me to bring it in right away if the it does it again, 'and the warning light is on.'  If they can't read a code they won't even try to fix it.  One of the reasons from what I read is that the grill and radiator have to be removed to access that sensor.  So I get it.  They don't want to perform any work that they don't have at least some indication of what it wrong.  I miss the days of less complicated vehicles.  Most of the repairs were replace a part until you find what's wrong.  But usually we had an idea what it was since they were so simple to diagnose and work on.  I freaked 'K' out by telling her we should take it and trade it in on a Tacoma.  I wasn't really kidding.  But Toyota is jacking around with adding 5K to the sticker prices down here.  I hear that may be happening everywhere.  Are they trying to go out of business?  I don't know of anyone that will buy a car with that going on.  

I also have to have a plumber out.  I have a leak from the expansion tank on my hot water heater.  Not sure if it has failed or it's just a random leak.  While they are here, I will get them to fix a leakey faucet.  Hopefully it's just cartridges but it's been there for 30+ years with extremely hard water and it's not easy to get to if it has to be changed.  So I will let the experts deal with it.  They will be here Tuesday.

So, how was your weekend?

Happy Trails

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Mine was thankfully quiet. One 'option' might be to get or borrow a code reader for the truck and keep it in it if the code pops again. You could get it and call the dealer right then.

Randy said...

Old NFO-good idea...of course we are hoping it was just a one time glitch in the space time continuum