Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Patience Paid Off

I had been fighting off the urge to get all our broken tree limbs laying in the yard after the ice storm cleaned up.  (Our neighborhood made the news with our damage).  From shopping for a new chain saw so I could tackle it myself to getting a bid from a gouger.  Also did a little clean up already.  Monday our neighbor had a crew working at his house.  I walked over and had a conversation with him about my limbs.  He gave me a bid the next day.  I was being pushed by the gouger to give him an answer ASAP.  He would have done much more work than I really intended but not for what he wanted, 2,500$.  'K' was even in more of a rush to get it cleaned up.  So I had to resist her concerns too.  She relented a little when she heard the bid.  When I got the bid from the guy next door my eyes went wide.  I couldn't believe it.  My reaction got his attention and he immediately asked if he was too high, LOL.  I quickly agreed to his amount.  It was a small fraction, miniscule, of the other.  I doubled the amount to show my appreciation.  He had an extra man that came over and got it all cut up and hauled out to the street where he used a Bobcat to load his trailer.  Took an hour and a half.  I also got a pile of firewood.  I have a ton of leaves to clean up now.  I think those will be burned.  They may wait for the early Spring leaf drop and then the Oak tassel drop.  

There are a few broken limbs at the top of some trees, I counted six.  There is no danger.  I can reach a couple, others are much too high.  They will stay until they fall.  That is part of the work the other guys wanted to handle and said that is why they charge so much.  However, I am happy with the way it turned out.

'K' took my Mother to sign her lease yesterday.  Turned into an all day affair.  She is back today to start the serious packing.  'K' is in a hurry to get it done.  She wants to be done with it once the movers have come.  I am more the wait and do a little at a time after the move.  I see her point, she comes home worn out after a visit.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, if they're pushing HARD to have you sign the contract, that's a red flag! Glad you found a better offer, and good luck with your mother's move.