Monday, October 18, 2021

Technical Difficulties

I am late posting today due to me trying to get my photos and videos uploaded from my phone.  I've done it before with little problem.  However, there is something not working right this time.  I am trying to get it sorted.  I wanted to up load a few photos and videos to this page.  Not sure how long it will take to get that figured out, so I will proceed with todays post and hope I get it worked out in the next day or two.  

We took a road trip up to Farmers Branch this past Thursday.  Farmers Branch is a bedroom city of Dallas.  I wasn't looking forward to driving through Dallas to get there and sure enough we hit a major road jam due to construction.  Other than that, this went near perfect.  This was the first overnight road trip since our trip to Phoenix at a moments notice to see Son #2 marry.  I think that was a full 4 years ago.  At my age, driving in unfamiliar places makes me a little anxious which had never been the case before.  The long lay off from almost any travel just added to that.  

We went to attend a Bluegrass Festival.  I've loved Bluegrass ever since the first time I heard that High Lonesome sound and those ringing banjos riding in Dad's car with the radio on a local country station.  That is back before I was even in school when they still played a little bluegrass on regular radio along with western.

This event was fantastic.  I think I turned 'K' into a big fan now.  She pretty much just tolerated my obsession.  Now she sees/hears what I hear.  Seeing two legends and one near legend with some current award winners turned her.  She even bought herself a couple CD's which she has never done.  The lineup consisted of my two  very favorite artists.  Both of them legends of Bluegrass.  Even if you never listen to Bluegrass you may recognize Ricky Skaggs that has had a long career in various genres.  But he came home to Bluegrass finally.  I consider him the Bill Monroe of our generation.  Then there is Del McCoury.  What a fine man this is.  So happy and kind.  He is a bridge to Bill Monroe (the father of Bluegrass if you don't know) played in his band for years.  Now he is a legend in his own right and is the epitome of the High Lonesome sound.  At 80 years old he can still hit those high tenor notes as clear and loud as ever.  I filled my bucket list slots with these two.
Another was Dan Tyminski.  You may know him from his days with Alison Kraus and is very well known for his voiceover work for George Clooney in the movie Brother where art thou.  He performed the signature song, 'Man of Constant Sorrow' in that movie.  

The Musicianship was outstanding, the weather was perfect.  It couldn't have been any better.  I hope to attend again next year.  My face was hurting from grinning so much.  Every one there had the same problem from what I could see.  

Hopefully a post tomorrow with a few photos and a video or two if I can get them to work.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Glad it went well, and yes that is one helluva lineup!!!