Monday, December 21, 2020

Quiet Times

It's been pretty quiet around here.  Nothing new to report on the search for a dog.  I have been using Petfinder.  It seems most shelters and rescues use it.  I have inquired about several dogs.  However, getting a response, at all, has been problematic.  We did actually call one of the shelters about a dog but again, he was already adopted.  Saturday I sent an inquiry about an Aussie Mix.  We actually heard back but they already had a possible adopter waiting to meet her.  Then Sunday I go an additional email requesting more info about us.  I don't know if the other adopter bailed or what.  I answered the email but have yet to hear back.  I am getting a little fed up after all the failures and told 'K' I may just stop looking for a while.  

'K' and I have been married for a long time.  45 years going on 46.  You would think I would know what she would like when it comes to a new dog.  Aussies are a given, but when it comes to anything else, I am totally off base.  One thing is that she thinks what is very cute is much different than I do.  I also consider breed traits if you can tell that a rescue may have an identifiable breed in their parentage.  So we have not been matching up when we look at dogs together.  She actually doesn't look and lets me show her what I have found.  On lark I showed her a couple dogs and she loved them.  I had passed them over multiple times due to breed issues.  All of this to say, I think giving this dog search a break for now is what will happen.  When she likes one a lot, I try to agree but have had reservations.  We have agreed we both have to be all in.  I know her well enough that she will agree to one I want even though she isn't all in.  That's not what I want.  I don't want my wants to steamroll hers.  You would think getting a new dog would be easier than this.  It's worse than deciding where we want to eat lol.  I think due to our age and lifestyle has made it more difficult trying to find that 'perfect' dog, and they just don't exist.

Son #2 and his family headed to Mesa, Az. to visit the in-laws for Christmas.  We offered to keep the baby while they went so they could enjoy the trip more.  The daughter-in-law didn't like that idea much.  Consequently we will have a very quiet Christmas.  No Christmas eve get together and meal.  We will head to Son#1's to watch the older grands open their gifts and maybe eat a bite.  I still don't have to like it but will muddle along anyway and try to be pleasant.  We will have our family get together once Son #2 gets back home.  No date set yet.

I'm off to get my walk in and if the wind dies down I may try to paint a little.  Nah.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Yep, going to be a quiet one here too... Sigh...