Friday, August 14, 2020

Not So Quick Project

The cedar chest is finished, or as finished as it's going to get at this point.  I had planned to just do the top lid to see how that turned out before I thought about doing the rest of the chest.  I ran into an issue I wasn't sure how to deal with.  I have a few pictures to show what I am talking about.  

The first two photos are the underside of the lid.


With that little information I found out this chest is about 70 years old.  They were made in the 40's and 50's.  I have some cedar oil I used on the inside trying to restore the 'smell' since sanding did very little.  After two coats there still is not much smell.

This is the lid and what I was starting with.  I had hoped not to have to sand, but I determined quickly that wasn't going to work.  The finish and wood was in too bad of condition.  




As you can see it had a very dull finish and was pretty marred up.  I had already hit it with the orbital sander lightly one time.  It just made it worse.  And the sander was getting some sort of buildup on the sand paper.  I was using a 220 grit.  Steel wool prior to this did nothing.

So out comes the belt sander.  I figured that it would handle the job a little faster along with taking care of that build up.  I used a 120 grit.  That buildup?

This is what happened then:


Apparently that black looking substance is something in the wood.  It just smeared it all over the lid and gummed up my brand new sanding belt.  I determined that is coming from all the dark knots in the wood.  Is it still seeping cedar sap after all these years?  No idea really.  So sanding stopped.  I was just making a mess.  I tried several things to get the residue off the wood and nothing at all worked, not even something the wifely unit had called Goo Gone.  Then I tried Goof Off, what did I have to lose at this point?  It worked, with some very vigorous rubbing.  

However, I just could not sand it anymore like this.  So the top is a lot rougher to the touch so it won't have that glass like surface I wanted.  Even with 10 coats of polyurethane with the last coast being poured on the wood so it would build up a nice surface.  Still not enough.  But it does have a great color now.  The rest of the chest will remain as it is for now.  I don't want to tackle that until I figure out what is going on with that wood 'leaking?'


Happy Trails


2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Yep, that's 'sap' leaking out because of the heat buildup. When I redid my mother's cedar chest, I had to do a LOT of sanding to get the previous layers off, after I used stripper to get most of the previous varnish off. I'm not sure what to say at this point, since it isn't mine, but I wish you the best, whichever way you go.

Randy said...

Old NFO-Thanks, I suspected that it was sap, thanks for confirming. Not sure what I am going to do at this point. I may let it sit as it for now until I get the motivation back to tackle it again.