Friday, January 3, 2020

Exciting Find

Browsing the book of faces yesterday and I found the above photo(and below.)  That is in front of the Alamo circa 1918.  I sort of collect Alamo photos I find on the www.  This one I had not seen before.  


If you look close and read the signs, it is pretty clear to be a recruiting effort for the Army Air Service and they have the de Havilland D-4 as a prop.  I have no idea what the very small bi-plane is next to it.  It looks like a toy next to the larger D-4.

This is another photo from a different angle form an entirely different day.  No year given but it has to be close to the same time frame of a year or two.  



Why should this old photo be exciting to me?  1919 is when my Grandfather enlisted in the Army Air Service.  His Father had a business to the rear of the Alamo and another across and down the street.  He also lived just South of the Alamo a few blocks.  Did he get recruited here on one of his trips through here?  Or at least get the idea to enlist from these soldiers and their display.  He never lost his love of airplanes.  He wasn't a pilot, but was a mechanic for those planes.  He did get to fly in those open cockpit things all over the Southwest border.  I have his old photo album from those days.  

Sgt. Willie


Some guy named Doolittle flew this plane in at Kelly Field.  He was on a cross country trip from Florida to California.  Papa took this photo


Sgt. Willie in the Big Bend


If you can read the photo...1920 that's the Rio Grande in Big Bend, yes he took the photo riding in that open cockpit.  


I have a lot more photos, all taken with his little box camera ( I have that too).
The stories he told still are with me.  But maybe another time for that.

No, I don't see him in the recruiting photo sadly.

Happy Trails


1 comment:

Old NFO said...

NO idea on that little bipe... Neat pictures though!