Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Alamo Day (March 6, 1836)

Today is the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo.  It has always been somewhere in memory my entire life.  In fact, the entire Alamo story has been a big part of my makeup.  As a native Texan and San Antonian, the story is near and dear to my heart.  The narrative has changed some over the years, the story we were taught as part of the Texas School Curriculum, wasn't the whole story.  Some even think some significant portions are false.  A lot of that original story we heard in school was the result of testimony given by Susanna Dickinson, wife of Almaron Dickinson, who was sacrificed there.  This was mostly what would be considered 'eyewitness' testimony.  Her account has come under question over the ensuing years.  Specifically, the line in the sand by Travis and David Crocket's manner of death. 

There are other accounts that give details of the last battle that I still come across almost every year, that I never heard before.  They paint a different picture of what I initially learned as a child.  However, none of these accounts has lessened the importance and significance of what happened during and after the 13 day siege.  They are always honored and remembered in my house and will continue to be.  


Remember the Alamo!

On different note, K has started on a diet, the Atkins Diet.  She has done it in the past and it was pretty successful.  I decided to try it with her in order to give her my support.  However, this particular diet has already played havoc with me.  If you aren't aware, this is a high protein, almost 0 carb diet.  Being a diabetic this is a good thing, no sugar and no to low carbs.  However, my meds work too good with this diet and I have already experienced two incidents of low blood sugar.  This isn't good at all as they come on mostly while I am asleep.  Then I have to get some sort of sugar in me along with some carbs so it doesn't crash again.  Low blood sugar of this sort is a very serious issue and can be fatal if it gets too low.  I have never had it get low to the point I can't function, but it has come close and takes a while to recover.  So, I am trying a modified version of the diet to try and see of I can get through the first two weeks in support of K.  But it's not looking good just the third day into this.  

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Do what you have to, but be careful!