Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Sold the Car and Easter

I got Mom's car sold to Carmax finally.  So that is off my shoulders.  Have you ever sold a car to them?  I was a little disappointed in the final result.  I used their online estimator that uses the VIN to tell then what the car is for the most part.  There were a few of the bells and whistles they did not have so I added those that I knew of.  I wasn't sure about some others.  The reason for that is they are all electronic and the operating system was much harder for me to operate than it should have been.  I didn't drive the car to try and find out all of those things.  So I got a number from their website and they actually make an offer right then that is good for a week or two.  I decided against accepting the offer in order for them to add any of the bells or whistles I wasn't aware.  Naïve? maybe so.  As it turns out it would have made no difference.  Their in person estimator and the buyers have final say despite the online offer.  A scam?  Maybe not.  I am sure there are plenty of folks that do what they can to bump the price offered by fudging a bit on things.  I wasn't trying to do that at all.  I just didn't know much about the car.  There were a couple minor things they dinged us for anyway.  Like a couple small dings in the door and a wheel that needed repair and some door panels that needed paint.  I thought it looked almost prefect but then I didn't look as close with a trained eye to pick out every little flaw.  I accepted their offer anyway, it was only 1500 less than the original estimate.  The biggest thing is Mom raised no objection to the lower price.

I had to remove and install a faucet in the bathroom last week.  We have a couple of Pfister brand faucets.  With the very hard water we have I have to either replace or clean the aerators regularly.  I didn't.  When I finally got around to removing them, no can do.  It broke since they all seem to use plastic ones now.  It had cemented itself to the faucet.  Pfister had previously sent me the replacement aerators.  Since I could not remove the broken ones, they honored their lifetime warranty and sent me two new faucets.  Good on them.  However I still have to deal with the plastic 'recessed' aerators.  I'll have to be more diligent.

We are gearing up to have the family over Easter to eat and let the kids hunt eggs.  We always invite Mom and she always declines.  She accepted!  So we have been hard at work trying to get the yard more presentable since the kiddoes will be out running around in it.  Coming up with what to eat has been a challenge all week.  I think we have finally decided on King Ranch Chicken.  I wanted to cook a brisket but the non-beef eater was an issue.  She isn't from Texas is my explanation for that.

Happy Trails

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

Glad you got the car taken care of! And have fun with the family on Easter!

CenTexTim said...

"I wanted to cook a brisket but the non-beef eater was an issue."

Cook the brisket and toss a chicken next to it for the NBE...

Randy said...

Old NFO-Thank you, we certainly plan to

CenTexTim-WE have done that in the past...Just too lazy this time