Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Usual Monday Post on Tuesday

I completely forgot about posting yesterday.  Got busy early and it just slipped my mind.  The main reason was that the Grandson was coming over to work.  He has his eye on something that he really wanted.  

It all started when he visited a friend and he had a new electronic device, a VR thing.  His friend told him that he had wanted one but his Dad told him if he wanted it he would have to earn the money himself.  This so impressed my Grandson he came straight home and told his Dad that he wanted to work really hard to earn some money.  This without any prompting from anyone.  He didn't ask for it for Christmas or for his parents to buy it for him.  He wanted to work.  Consequently he got set up for work at his other Grandparents house a couple weeks ago and earned 80$.  When I heard about this I tried to figure out what work I might have for him.  They have several acres so there is always something a kid can do.  I had to figure this out for a bit

I had been thinking about this flower bed/water diverter I had by the driveway that was built with landscape timbers that were looking pretty bad.  I had some limestone blocks I could use to replace them.  He came over and gave me an estimate at Christmas.  I really wasn't sure he could complete it as those blocks are plenty heavy, 40-50 lbs.  The video below shows him finishing up with some pavers we used for a curb.  He put in about 3 hours on this.  His going rate is about 8/hr.  His estimate was a little higher.


He never complained, never said he can't do it, accepted direction willingly.  I am pretty proud of this kid.  He is about to turn 11 in a couple months and is a little small for his age but he kicked butt and with what he earned he met his goal.  Of course he got a little more than what his estimate was.  Granddads are allowed to do that.

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Good for him! And yes, we're allowed to chip in a little too... :-)