Thursday, March 26, 2020

Day 11 of Isolation


2 Timothy 1:7

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Too much time on my hands... 

I have been formulating some thoughts over the last few days of this Chinese virus that is holding much of the world hostage. It’s not the whole world, as a lot of folks don’t seem to be taking this serious.  Mostly they are the millennials and younger folks.  I have heard that a lot of these folks don’t believe it is serious since President Trump has been asking the nation to take precautions.  They say, ‘he isn’t my president.’  This is a dangerous, arrogant, ignorant and just plain stupid position.  In fact any position that doesn’t take it serious is at the least uninformed.

Social media and the news media seem to be driving a narrative of panic.  Most of it is negative and alarmist.  Some things have been positive, trying to lift up others.  There has been more of that on my feeds than the negative.  

WARNING: RANT COMING: I will probably make some enemies here. 

Then there are the ones I am a bit flummoxed by.  I generally see eye to eye with them as we have very similar views.  They believe the government is using this pandemic to get more control over all of us and is stealing our personal liberties.  In fact they believe this is all a hoax and manufactured by some sinister dark forces.  They don’t agree at all with shutting down ANYthing it seems, regardless of the danger.  They issue dire warnings and with every measure they say ‘see? I told you so.’  OK, I get it, I truly do.  But there is just a hint of conspiracy theorists here.  I mean that in the way of those that wear the tinfoil hats. No, I don’t trust big government either just for the record.  While we berate the media and those that are keeping the panic buying going, this only creates more fear on the other end.  Neither of these type posts helps calm the panic.  It truly has me concerned.

Our government was founded on the idea it was solely there to protect the citizens and conduct trade.  Yes, I realize it has gone far beyond the original intentions and continues to grow.  But, in my eyes, taking steps to protect the health of our people falls in that area, IMO.  If they have to ask you to stay home because you won’t otherwise, I understand.  But what about my rights guaranteed by the constitution, my liberty to do as I choose you may ask? 

There is the old adage, “do you have the right to yell ‘fire’ in a crowded building if there is no fire?”  If you are endangering my health by going and doing as you please thereby possibly endangering my or my loved ones health, IMO, your rights and liberty end …at 6 feet.  You have no right to do as you choose then.  If you don’t get it, then the government must step in to protect me/us.  If the government won’t I will.  Which would you prefer, Me confronting you for endangering my loved ones or the government?  I can assure you mine would be less pleasant.  They do this to prevent chaos.  What is it I am not getting?  Will these measures stay in place, is that what you are telling me?  It’s a tricky issue I know.

First and foremost I believe in the scripture above with every fiber of my being.  So that is able to keep me grounded and unafraid.  It is out of my hands other than the things I am able to do for myself and loved ones.

Being fearful and worrying does no one any good.  Fear only adds to the anxiety.  If it is a fear that is rational, something you can do about it, it’s in your hands to control it.  If it is something you can’t control, what good does it do to worry about it?  It only makes you more stressed and also affects those around you.  Firstly, keep it off social media.  Your fears being posted makes others more fearful and on and on.  Can you see what I’m saying?

Here is what concerns me.  As Americans, we have always risen to the challenge of any disaster.  Whether it is weather disaster, a war, a pandemic, 9/11, you name it, we have always responded strongly and come together as Americans.  In the past we, and especially our ancestors, all sacrificed something for the good of others, our country.  We would do without so others could have.  Now we have people hoarding everything because of their ‘me first attitude’ and being full of irrational fear.  Causing others to suffer and do without.  Also, in those times we weren’t Democrats, not Republicans, not black, not white, not brown, but Americans.  That is the thing that has made us the greatest country in the world.  We came together to defeat the threat, as Americans.  Somehow this time seems different to me.  The Democrats are playing politics with the major financial relief bill by adding their agenda of things they can’t get passed on their own merit.  This is reprehensible.  (I am not saying this bill is good for the country either.  I have concerns it will make our economy worse, but I’m not an economist.  Again, it is something I have no control over.)  Politics over the good of the whole country, their agenda being their primary goal is the worst.  Holding America hostage on top of the virus holding us hostage, it’s political blackmail.  If those that have voted them in office don’t reverse that, I have little to no hope we will ever come together again as a nation of Americans.  This is not a time for Us vs. Them.

Admittedly our country has for the most part abandoned God.  Now it is fashionable to be an atheist or agnostic.  I do know that the providence of God works in our lives.  Will he continue to bless us so richly if we have abandoned him as a country like we have?  All we have to do is look at his word, to see the answer.  Most of the Old Testament is a lesson on what happened to a nation that abandoned Him.  Does he work that way today?  I can’t answer that and wouldn’t be so bold to speak for Him.  Am I saying that this virus is a result of us and the world turning away from Him?  I truly don’t know.  Is it possible?  I would never try to put limits on His power.  I would never presume to say my thoughts are like His thoughts.  I can only hold onto my Faith and believe in the things he said we can know. 

Come on America, we are better than this, and were before, and can be again.  It’s in our hands, but mostly His, if we trust and believe in Him.  I pray for each of you and all of America and the world several times a day for His blessings to be on us all.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Good post and I can't disagree at all... sigh

Randy said...

Old NFO-thanks, it means a lot to me. Stay safe my friend