Friday, July 5, 2019

Friday and Almost Yard Work and Roofer Coming Finally

Friday, the day after our 44th anniversary.  Yes, we got married on the 4th.  We had a very quiet July 4th except for some fireworks from the neighbors.  They are a younger crowd and don't to care about the quiet we have learned to love living out here.  Since K is still mostly immobile with her foot we didn't go anywhere to celebrate our anniversary.  We usually will go out to a nice restaurant or steakhouse and back home, usually at noon or shortly thereafter.  We couldn't leave Buster alone with the fireworks going off.  They made him very scared.  That is no longer an issue.  So I had picked up a couple ribeyes and threw them on the grill.  I have to say they were perfect.  As good or better than I have ever cooked.  It made things pretty nice for our anniversary despite staying in.  Son#1 and his family came by for a few, and then headed over to his in-laws.  That made things even better.

With all the wet weather we have had my grass has gone absolutely nuts.  I felt a need to get it cut ASAP since I had been notified that the roofer will start on Monday.  They clean up after themselves pretty well but with the grass as long as it would be by Monday, it would make it easier for them to miss the things like nails I want picked up.  Plus it's supposed to get much hotter this weekend and into next week.  True July weather is finally arriving after several days of not reaching 90.  

OK, back to where I was going with this yard work thing.  Everything was going fine until...I hit a low stump I know was there and have gone over many times without incident.  Not this time.  Bent a blade on my riding lawnmower.  Frustrating since I knew it was there and still hit it.  GRRRR.  Flipped the mower over to remove the blade and see a bigger problem.  Those blades fit on a shaft that has a star shaped pattern.  All those little star points that keep the blade turning were sheared off.  OK.  I can't fix that.  Called a neighborhood guy that will come out Saturday.  First time ever having to pay someone to cut my grass.  Oh, I am shopping for a new rider too.  So if you have a suggestion I will add it to my research list.  I am leaning toward a Troy Bilt ( it has an automatic transmission-I have concerns about that) and another Craftsman that is sold at Lowe's.  Troy Bilt sounds great and most reviews are very positive, but a few reviews all had a recurring problem with a shaft and bearing burning up and their service for warranty repairs appears nonexistent.  I am familiar with Craftsman and the one I have has always been very reliable.  The old one has been showing its age lately and it cut unevenly so replacing it was not too hard to decide.  Plus it is about 15 years old.  Time to say goodbye.

Happy Trails




1 comment:

Old NFO said...

There comes time to let go of the old...LOL