Thursday, November 8, 2018

Bonus!

Things are quiet but busy.  Since I am in charge around here while the wife is working her short term job things have been going resoundingly well.  I get dishes done everyday and supper is ready early.  Took her car and got the oil changed and inspected, she is ready to go now.  Yes, I'm whipped.  

I mentioned we were kicking around the idea of getting a new vehicle next year.  That we were settled on an SUV as opposed to the truck I want to replace mine.  That was until I drove my brother's new truck yesterday.  Wow, they have really made some nice changes in the 14 years since I got a new one and makes it hard to not really consider one anyway.  I'm sure practicality will win out in the long run even though she says get what makes me happy.  That is dangerous territory right there.

This one week job K has gotten may turn into a part time job through December since they need extra help.  But there are some drawbacks.  This place is a 25 mile drive one way.  Not too bad, but if you only work a half day she won't really make any money.  Most of it will go into the gas tank.  If they can adjust it to full day a couple times a week or so that would be better.  They are extremely flexible so we will see how that goes.  She gets pretty bored though as this is not a challenging job at all.  She has never been a clock watcher, but she is with this job.  It will be nice to have the extra $$ with Christmas coming.  Another bonus, the owner gave us a deer.  125#s' of venison, from one deer.  It was a from a managed ranch in South Texas.  It was killed for the horns, the hunter didn't want the meat after paying an exorbitant price.  I get the benefit of that.  Took it over to get made into hamburger, all except the back straps.  That is more than twice the amount of meat I get from those little Hill Country deer.  I usually net only 25-30 lbs.  This one should net 80-90 lbs.  Since I don't have room for that much meat, I am splitting it with my Sons and I will still have a good amount.  Bonus.  It's things like this that our friends are so great about.  

Now if we can just stay healthy this year as opposed to the last couple (especially last year) we will be good to go.  We have had some really bad Decembers the last 5 years.  We approach this December optimistic it will be better than last year. 

Happy Trails

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Things are looking up, not a bad thing! And meat in the freezer is good!